Vipers Select Brooks and Cumberland in the 2021 G League Draft
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the NBA G League Affiliate of the Houston Rockets, selected Armoni Brooks with the 10th overall pick in the 2021 NBA G League Draft. The Vipers also selected Jarron Cumberland with the 12th overall pick.
"We're extremely excited to add Armoni and Jarron to our group. Our staff worked hard to identify them as two of the highest-level players in the entire draft," said RGV Vipers General Manager Travis Stockbridge. "Armoni's ability to shoot the ball makes him a threat from anywhere on the floor, while Jarron's size, skill, and versatility will allow him to contribute at multiple positions. We think both have terrific upside and look forward to helping them develop into the players we know they can become."
The Vipers' complete 2021 NBA G League Draft Picks can be found below.
Round Pick Name Position HT WT School
1 10 Armoni Brooks Guard 6'3 195 University of Houston
1 12 Jarron Cumberland Guard 6'5 210 University of Cincinnati
Brooks (6-3, 195 lbs.) recently played for College Park Skyhawks in the 2019-20 campaign, appearing in 43 games, starting in four. The Austin native averaged 10.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 1.1 assists in 20.9 minutes of action. At College Park, Brooks averaged 44.6% from the field and 39.5% from beyond the arc, totaling 96 three-pointers.
Prior to the Skyhawks, Brooks participated in the 2019-20 NBA preseason with the Atlanta Hawks where he made four appearances, averaging 3.5 points, 1.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 8.5 minutes of play. The guard also made three appearances, one start with the Washington Wizards in the NBA Summer League, averaging 3.3 points, 2.7 rebounds in 12.7 minutes.
During his collegiate career, Brooks finished his junior year with 37 appearances, 36 starts for the University of Houston where he averaged 13.35 points per 30.7 minutes played. In addition, he averaged 6.3 rebounds while shooting 40.5% from the field and 39.0% from the three-point line. In 2019, Brooks earned spots in the NABC All-District (25) Second Team, All-AAC Second Team and AAC All-Tournament Team. In 2018 he earned the AAC Sixth Man award along with two AAC Player of the Week awards.
"He's as good a shooter, as there is in the G League, and he proved it last season with College Park. His ability to stretch the floor and knock down shots from well beyond the 3-point arc fits perfectly with how we like to play," said Stockbridge. "His size and length allow him to defend multiple positions and make an impact on the defensive glass."
Cumberland (6-5, 210 lbs.) played all four years at the University of Cincinnati. During the 2019-20 season, Cumberland appeared and started in 27 games, while averaging 15.52 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.0 steals in 32.4 minutes. As a junior, the shooting guard started in 35 games while shooting 40.4% from the field and 38.8% from beyond the arc - hitting 80 three-pointers. Cumberland also averaged 18.8 points. 4.4 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.1 steals.
In 2019 and 2020, Cumberland earned a combination of numerous awards - NABC All-District (24) First Team (2020), NABC All-District (25) First Team (2019), AP All-American Honorable Mention (2019), AAC Player of the Year (2019), All-AAC First Team (2019 & 2020), AAC Tournament MVP (2019) and AAC All-Tournament Team (2019).
"We've scouted Jarron closely throughout his college career at Cincinnati," Stockbridge stated. "He has a unique mix of size, skill and physicality. His versatility stands out, with ability to create offense for himself and others, as well as knock down shots from beyond the arc. He's a unique player with a high basketball IQ."
The Vipers are set to participate in the NBA G League 2021 season at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney Resort near Orlando, Florida. Amongst RGV, 16 other NBA G League teams and G League Ignite will compete in February. The complete 2021 NBA G League game and broadcast schedule will be announced at a later date.
For more information, please visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2021
- Wolves Select Allonzo Trier, Dakarai Tucker in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Iowa Wolves
- Raptors 905 Select Kevon Harris and Gary Payton II in the 2021 NBA G League Draft. - Raptors 905
- Raptors 905 Complete 3 Trades Ahead of 2021 G League Draft - Raptors 905
- Austin Spurs Select Jonathan Kasibabu, Anthony Mathis and Kaleb Johnson in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Austin Spurs
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Two Players in 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Memphis Hustle
- Delaware Blue Coats Select Jemerrio Jones and Braxton Key in 2021 NBA G League Draft - Delaware Blue Coats
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2021 Roster Released - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Vipers Select Brooks and Cumberland in the 2021 G League Draft - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Greensboro Swarm Select Admiral Schofield with First Pick of 2021 NBA G League Draft - G League
- Westchester Knicks Select Justin Patton No. 9 Overall - Westchester Knicks
- Greensboro Swarm Select Admiral Schofield No. 1 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Greensboro Swarm
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with South Bay Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- South Bay Acquires 2021-22 First Round Pick - South Bay Lakers
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with Raptors 905 - Memphis Hustle
- Westchester Knicks Set to Select No. 9 Overall in the 2020-21 NBA G League Draft - Westchester Knicks
- Memphis Hustle Complete Trade with Erie BayHawks - Memphis Hustle
- BayHawks Acquire Rights to Jarrod Uthoff - Erie BayHawks
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Tom Hankins as Head Coach - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Extend Winning Streak to Four with Win over Iowa
- Porter Jr. Earns NBA G League Player of the Week for Week 3
- Hernandez to Join RGV Via Trade
- Porter Jr. Records First Triple-Double of G League Season in Vipers Big Win over BayHawks
- Lamb Joins RGV from Canton Charge