Former Grizzlie John Shelby Headed to White Sox Organization
The Gateway Grizzlies are pleased to announce that former outfielder John Shelby is heading back to the Chicago White Sox organization.
The 27-year-old played the entire 2012 season for Gateway after spending 2006-2011 in affiliated ball for the White Sox and Tampa Bay Rays organizations. With the Grizzlies, Shelby batted .239 with 14 home runs, 59 RBI and 12 stolen bases in 87 games.
"We're excited for John and glad he's getting another opportunity in affiliated ball," Grizzlies manager Phil Warren said. "He is a great teammate and an exceptional talent."
"John is a great guy and it has been fun watching him develop since college," said Grizzlies hitting coach Mike Breyman, who played with Shelby in college. "He's getting a second chance in this business and that doesn't happen often. I'm thrilled for him."
Shelby came to Gateway in 2012 after five years in affiliated ball, four with the White Sox and one with the Tampa Bay Rays. Regarded as a can't miss prospect, he was drafted by the White Sox in the 5th round of the 2006 draft out of the University of Kentucky.
A 5-10 200-pound outfielder, Shelby spent the 2011 season in the Rays organization, batting .248 with 16 homers and 52 RBI in 117 games at Double-A Montgomery. A native of Lexington, KY, he also appeared in one game at Triple-A Durham, going 0-for-3.
Prior to his one year with the Tampa Bay organization, Shelby spent 2006-2010 in the White Sox Organization at four different levels.
He hit .301 with 16 homers and 79 RBI at Single-A Kannapolis in 2007 and .295 with 15 homers and 33 stolen bases at High-A Winston-Salem in 2008 before spending the 2009 and 2010 seasons at Double-A Birmingham.
In 2009 and 2010 at Birmingham, he combined to hit 21 homers, drive in 92 runs and steal 45 bases in 226 games.
Shelby helped lead Kentucky to the 2006 SEC Championship and left college after his junior season. He played at Kentucky with Grizzlies outfielder Antone DeJesus and Breyman.
Shelby is the son of 11-year MLB veteran and current Milwaukee Brewers coach, John Shelby III. The younger Shelby's cousin, Josh Harrison, plays for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Grizzlies 2013 home opener is on May 21st when the Grizzlies take on the Joliet Slammers at GCS Ballpark. Season and group tickets are on sale now. For more information call 618.337.3000.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from November 28, 2012
- Slammers Announce Special Holiday Packs - Joliet Slammers
- Pat Trettel to Join Wild Things - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Announce New Stadium Naming Rights Partner - Florence Freedom
- Washington Wild Things Sell Jim Vahalik's Contract - Washington Wild Things
- Former Grizzlie John Shelby Headed to White Sox Organization - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gateway Grizzlies Stories
- Trevor Richards, Former Gateway Grizzlie, Beats Max Scherzer in First Start for Marlins
- Local Right Hander Starting against Scherzer and the Nationals at 12:05
- Grizzlies Offense Stymied in Series Finale Loss
- Molesky Dominates as Grizzlies Drop the Miners
- Grizzlies Lose Heartbreaker After Late River City Rally