Flying for the Hawks Now
Waterloo, Iowa - The Waterloo Black Hawks selected defensemen Luke Bast and Noah Marino during a dispersal draft of Central Illinois Flying Aces players and affiliates on Monday morning.
The Flying Aces announced earlier this spring that the club was withdrawing from USHL competition ahead of the 2019/20 season.
Bast's Brooks Bandits team is preparing to play for the Alberta Junior Hockey League's Doyle Cup championship series. During the current postseason, he has two goals and seven assists in 15 appearances, following a regular season which included 35 points (seven goals, 28 assists) in 45 games. Bast also appeared for Canada West during the 2018 World Junior A Challenge, notching a goal and two assists while helping his squad to a bronze medal. The 18-year-old North Dakota recruit is the 137th ranked North American skater in NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of prospects for this summer's NHL Draft in Vancouver.
Marino spent this season with the Chicago Fury U16 team. Just turning 17 earlier this month, Marino already stands 6' 1" and weighs in at 200 pounds. Waterloo has previous connections with the Fury organization, including forward Niko Hildenbrand and goaltender Peter Thome. Marino also made four appearances for the Springfield Junior Blues of the North American Hockey League in late March, recording a pair of assists and a +2 plus/minus differential.
The selection order for the dispersal draft of Central Illinois players was determined via a weighted lottery, corresponding with each club's position in the final USHL regular season standings.
The Black Hawks return to the ice on the road Tuesday for Game Three of their USHL Western Conference Semifinal series, on the road against the Sioux Falls Stampede.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Storm Acquire Ferrandino & Griebel in Dispersal Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Pospisil Signs Entry Level Deal with the Calgary Flames - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sioux City acquires two players from the Flying Aces - Sioux City Musketeers
- Stars Select Jake Boltmann, Colby Enns in USHL Dispersal Draft - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Add Teasdale to 2019 Roster - Omaha Lancers
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Add Three in Dispersal Draft - Green Bay Gamblers
- Flying for the Hawks Now - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Saints Acquire Halliday, Villegas, Gibson in Dispersal Draft - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Fargo Force Draft Four Players in Today's Dispersal Draft - Fargo Force
- USHL Completes Dispersal Draft - USHL
- Ganske Commits to Northern Michigan - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.