First AHL Call up of the Season
Denver - Denver Cutthroats Kieran Millan has been called up to the American Hockey League's Lake Erie Monsters on Monday, October 28, 2013. This is the fourth time in the goaltender's career he has been called up to the AHL to play for the Monsters.
This past weekend, Millan stopped 34 of 39 shots to put the Cutthroats up 6-5 over the Wichita Thunder in overtime on Saturday, October 26. This season, Millan has played a total of 187 minutes with 106 saves and a save percentage of 93%.
He was named the Central Hockey League's Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week following the team's opening weekend sweep. Millan turned away 36 of 37 shots in the Cutthroats 4-1 win over the Tulsa Oilers on Friday, October 18. On Saturday, the second-year pro made 36 saves to assist in his team's 3-2 shootout win. During the 18-round shootout, Millan stopped 16 of 18 shooters.
"We are proud as an organization to develop players," said Denver Cutthroats Head Coach Derek Armstrong. "We sent nine players up to the AHL last season and we are excited to get the ball rolling this year. Today is a great day for Cutthroats hockey."
This is the first call up for the 2013-14 season. During the team's inaugural season, the Cutthroats had more players called up to the American Hockey League than the remaining teams in the league. Millan was one of nine different players from the Cutthroats roster to appear in games for the Lake Erie Monsters last season. Two of those players signed entry-level contracts with the National Hockey League's Colorado Avalanche midway through the 2012-13 season after spending more than half the season in the AHL.
Millan, Gabriel Beaupre, Joel Chouinard, A.J. Gale, Markus Lauridsen, Jamie MacQueen, Kent Patterson, Dean Strong and Ben Wilson represented the Denver Cutthroats during the 2012-13 season with the Lake Erie Monsters. Rookie defensemen Beaupre and Lauridsen signed with the Avalanche during the year after making an impact on the ice for the Monsters.
Local goaltender Casey Sherwood will join the Denver Cutthroats for Wednesday's game against the Brampton Beast. Sherwood participated in the Cutthroats training camp at the beginning of October.
"It's great to have local talent to put on the ice," said Armstrong. "We are excited for Casey to join the team."
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 28, 2013
- Shots from the Point for October 28, 2013 - CHL
- Alex Lavoie Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - Allen Americans
- Allen's Alex Lavoie Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- First AHL Call up of the Season - Denver Cutthroats
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster