Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 19 at Greenville (Game 95)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- RHP Tylor Megill transferred from Columbia to advanced-A St. Lucie
- INF Chandler Avant transferred from Columbia to short-season A Brooklyn
- RHP Jaison Vilera transferred to Columbia from short-season A Brooklyn
- OF Taylor Lane activated from Columbia's injured list
Columbia Fireflies (13-15, 37-57) @ Greenville Drive (13-15, 45-53)
RHP Jose Butto (4-7, 3.61) vs. RHP Alex Scherff (3-8, 5.40)
Fri., July 19, 2019 - Fluor Field (Greenville, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 95
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia has experienced a bit of a power surge during the road trip. Jose Medina ripped his first home run of the season on Thursday night in Greenville, a missile over the Fenway Park-inspired "mini-Green-Monster" in left field. That was the only bit of offense for the Fireflies, though. The Drive took the opener by a final score of 5-1 at Fluor Field. Starter Willy Taveras posted another strong outing. The righty struck out seven over five innings, didn't walk anyone and surrendered just two runs.
GOING DEEP: The Fireflies have homered in three straight games and four of the last five. In fact, Columbia has totaled six in those five games. On Thursday, Medina crashed the Shervyen Newton and Mark Vientos party:
July 18 @ Greenville - Jose Medina
July 17 @ West Virginia - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
July 16 @ West Virginia - Shervyen Newton
July 14 vs. Charleston - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
The blast was just the 13th homer in Medina's professional career, which stretches six seasons and 334 games. The homer was Medina's first since August 24, 2018.
THE ACE IS IN THE HOUSE: Columbia's most consistent starter over the last two months starts on Friday. Jose Butto owns a 1.99 ERA since May 28 (8 GP, 7 GS). He's one of four SAL pitchers with a sub-2.00 ERA during that stretch.
F=m(a): Shervyen Newton went 1-for-4 at the plate in Thursday's series opener against Greenville. The Mets prospect has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games and has homered in three of his last five.
F=m(a), Pt. II: Over his last 12 games, Newton is hitting .417 (20-for-48) with three doubles, four homers and 11 RBI. In 25 second-half games, the Curacao native is hitting .278.
ALL THE STRIKEOUTS: Despite the loss to Greenville on Thursday, Columbia punched out nine more Drive batters. That's now 92 strikeouts for the Fireflies over their last nine games.
SENGER'S SUCCESS: Fireflies catcher Hayden Senger has reached base safely in 21 of the 23 second-half games he's played in. Senger has dominated since the all-star break. His .402 second-half batting average is second-best in the South Atlantic League. The catcher was batting .180 at the all-star break (40 GP) and his average now sits at .269 - that's an astonishing near-100 point raise of his average over just 23 games.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Trio of Big Frames Propel 'Birds over Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Parra Powers Jackets Past Greensboro - Augusta GreenJackets
- Salvatore Homers But Delmarva Downs Power 9-5 - West Virginia Power
- Rangel Leads Braves to 4-1 Win on Friday Night - Rome Braves
- Five-Run Seventh Propels Greenville to 9-4 Win over Columbia - Greenville Drive
- Jose Medina Homers Again in Friday Night Loss to Greenville - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Starting Pitcher, Rangel, Quiets Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Upshaw Caps off Four-Hit Night with Walk-Off Single - Hagerstown Suns
- Charleston Takes Control Early to Even Series - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tatum Homers, Drives in Five, Claws Win 9-6 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 19 at Greenville (Game 95) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Continue Solid Hitting in 11-1 Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Walk Off Hit Sinks Rome in Opener 4-3 - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 1 at Augusta (Game 135)