Fireflies Finish up Home Schedule
COLUMBIA, SC - The Fireflies dropped their home finale on Thursday night to the Asheville Tourists by a final score of 4-0. The final home game of the season was played in front of a crowd of 3,427 and, in total, a record 315,034 fans made it out to Spirit Communications Park in 2017. Columbia finishes the regular season with a four-game series on the road against the Rome Braves starting Friday.
Columbia (67-67) needed to win the series finale against Asheville (65-69) to stave off a sweep. Fireflies' starter Darwin Ramos (L, 2-3) had not allowed a first inning run in his four prior starts with Columbia. The Tourists, though, scored twice in the opening frame on Thursday. Max George and Manny Melendez smacked consecutive singles. George wound up at third. Tyler Nevin bounced out to third baseman Reed Gamache, but George scored. Later in the inning, Melendez stole third base. The throw from catcher Natanael Ramos bounced away from Gamache and Melendez hopped up and took off towards the plate. Asheville led, 2-0.
The only other runs scored in the fourth. Melendez, once again, got the job done for the visitors. With two aboard, the Tourists' centerfielder ripped a single that scored both Vince Fernandez and Jacob Bosiokovic.
The Fireflies threatened with runners in scoring position in the fifth, sixth and seventh frames, but mustered no runs. Columbia tallied just four hits, three of which came against Asheville starter Logan Longwith (W, 2-0). The right-hander hurled 6.1 scoreless frames.
Two Fireflies relievers blanked Asheville over the final three innings. Taylor Henry chucked two scoreless frames and Cam Griffin struck out the side in the ninth.
Columbia embarks on its final series of the 2017 season over the weekend. The Fireflies face the Rome Braves at State Mutual Stadium starting Friday at 7:00 p.m. Columbia trots righty Gabriel Llanes (5-11, 4.59) out to the mound to face Rome lefty Joey Wentz (8-3, 2.70).
You can listen to the action on ESPN Columbia 94.9 FM and 1230 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the TuneIn Radio app starting at 6:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 1, 2017
- Barrera Plates Five, Falls Single Short of Cycle - Hagerstown Suns
- ShoreBirds Fall in Road Finale at H'Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Finish up Home Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Rout Braves on Thursday to Complete - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws, Williams, Top Power 3-2 on Thursday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Garcia Homer Powers RiverDogs to Comeback Win to Clinch - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Fall 3-2 Against BlueClaws - West Virginia Power
- Tourists Sweep in Style; Toss Eighth Shutout of the Year - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies Stay Hot, Have Won Five of Last Six
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 19 at Hagerstown (Game 120)
- An Offensive Explosion in Hagerstown: Columbia Drills Three Homers, Steamrolls Suns in Opener
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 18 at Hagerstown (Game 119)
- Friday's Finale in Charleston Cancelled Due to Rain