Firebirds Select Forward Brennan Othmann Second-Overall in OHL Draft Saturday
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds announced today that the club has selected forward Brennan Othmann (pronounced Awth-Min) as the second-overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection presented by Real Canadian Superstore.
Othmann, a native of Pickering, Ont., recorded an impressive 146 points (66G, 80A) in 72 regular season games with the Don Mills Flyers Minor Midget AAA hockey team this year. He played an integral role in helping the Flyers to a 77-0-6-1 record, capturing both the Greater Toronto Hockey League's (GTHL) regular season and playoff titles. Othmann led Don Mills in playoffs with 22 points (7G, 14A) in 13 games and was also selected to represent Team Ontario at the renowned 2019 Canada Winter Games, leading his team with 16 points (10G, 6A) in six games to secure a Silver Medal.
"It's a dream come true for me, ever since I was a kid, I wanted to play in the OHL and I think Flint's a great fit, I'm really excited," said Othmann. "Our coach Eric Wellwood has earned three Memorial Cups, so I want to be a part of his fourth one and I know he wants to get that done here in Flint. I've already spoke with a few of the players on the team and they've told me how good the chemistry is inside the locker room. I think we're going to have a very good team next year."
The 5-foot-11, 158-pound skater finished second in points among 367 skaters at the prestigious 2019 OHL Cup powered by Under Armor in March. In seven games, he scored eight goals and added six assists, totaling 14 points and recorded a tournament-high three game-winning goals, including the game-winning tally in overtime in the championship game. Additionally, he was one of only six players named to the 2019 Gatorade OHL Cup All-Star Team, a selection of the annual showcase's top performers as chosen by OHL Central Scouting.
"We're ecstatic to have selected Brennan with the second-overall pick," said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Barclay Branch. "As a staff, we had a set of criteria that we were looking for and he checks off every box. His ability on the ice is impressive, he's got elite hockey sense, is a supreme competitor and is a dynamic a player. Brennan is a winner, makes players around him better and he's a difficult player for opposing players to play against. He's a tremendous young man that comes from a great family. He's going to fit in really well with our group and our fans are going to be really excited when we hit the ice this season."
For 15 straight years beginning in 1999, the player taken second in the OHL draft went on to play in the NHL. Since 2010, four of the last seven players selected second-overall in the OHL Draft became first-round draft picks in the NHL.
"Brennan is an impact player that can score goals and play hockey at both ends of the ice," said Flint Firebirds Assistant General Manager and Director of Player Development Joe Stefan. "We think his compete level and his will to win is what separates him from a lot of players and that he will be a key piece to our club moving forward."
OHL Central Scouting Report: Brennan is a good skater with deceiving quickness and the ability to beat defenders wide. When he has the puck on his stick, Brennan is extremely dangerous. He has an accurate, lightning quick shot and is good at finding those quiet pockets on the ice and capitalizing when he has the chance. Brennan has a very high hockey IQ as the puck follows him around the ice and he does a great job of capitalizing on his chances.
"We've talked about drafting players that can not only play the game but are great character kids and this is what Brennan brings to the team," said Flint Firebirds Head Scout Dave McParlan. "He's a real pure goal scorer. You don't generally see pure goal scorers that have a playmaking ability and the willingness to do the 'dirty work' and he does all these things. We were amazed with how often we saw him scoring big moment goals and how much of an impact he had on games. We're really excited that we've had the opportunity to select him."
Fans can meet Brennan at the Firebirds' annual orientation camp May 17-19 at Iceland Arenas on Elms Rd. in Clayton Township. Firebirds' newly drafted prospects from the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, prospects from previous OHL Priority Selections, as well as free agent invites and current Firebirds will be in attendance. Fans are invited to attend the annual Firebirds' Blue vs. White scrimmage Saturday, May 18 at Flint Iceland Arenas. This event is free and open to the public.
For all the latest information on the Flint Firebirds, including videos features, orientation camp details and community appearances throughout the summer, stay tuned to www.FlintFirebirds.com.
Early bird ticket packages for the Flint Firebirds' 2019-20 OHL season are on sale now. A $50 deposit reserves your seat for next season! The special early bird price deadline is Tuesday, April 30th and fans can secure their seats for next season at the Dort Federal Event Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday. For additional pricing and ticket information, fans can call the box office at (810) 744-0580 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2019
- OHL Completes 2019 Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore - OHL
- Steelheads Select Fourteen Players in 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Arnsby Tops Troops' Picks - North Bay Battalion
- Future Bright for 67's as 17 New Players Join the Family on Draft Day - Ottawa 67's
- Otters Add 16 Prospects at 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Attack Select 18 Players in 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Select Evan Roccatani 296th Overall - Guelph Storm
- 3 Major Announcements on Draft Day in Colts Country - Barrie Colts
- Petes Select 16 Players in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Kitchener Rangers Select 13 in OHL Draft - Kitchener Rangers
- Storm Select Sasha Pastujov 276th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Austin Clark 236th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Quinn Tavares 216th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Ryan Remick 256th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Nolan Forster 156th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Declan Ride 136th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Dixon Grimes 196th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Camden Daigle 176th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Attack Add 5 More in Rounds 3-5 of 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Select Jack Devine and Owen Richer in the Sixth Round - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Marko Sikic 55th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Braeden Bowman 96th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Dylan Gratton 77th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Attack Take 6'5 Forward Kaleb Lawrence in 2nd Round - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Select Jacob Maillet 39th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Attack Add Burroughs with 29th Overall Pick in OHL Priority Selection - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Select Danny Zhilkin 14th Overall - Guelph Storm
- 67's Select Jack Matier with 21st Overall Selection in OHL Draft - Ottawa 67's
- Attack Select Deni Goure 10th Overall - Owen Sound Attack
- Petes Select Jon-Randall Avon Eleventh Overall in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Round-By-Round OHL Priority Selection Results (2019) - Soo Greyhounds
- Hounds Select Jacob Holmes in 1st Round - Soo Greyhounds
- Kitchener Rangers Announce Francesco Pinelli as First Round Pick - Kitchener Rangers
- Petes Select Mason McTavish Fifth Overall in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Otters Select Connor Lockhart Third Overall - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Select Forward Brennan Othmann Second-Overall in OHL Draft Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- 2019 OHL Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore - Oshawa Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Rosters Announced for 5th-Annual Orientation Camp May 17-19
- Kolyachonok Named to OHL's First All-Rookie Team
- Firebirds Debut New Website Redesign
- Flint-Native Rico Phillips Named Finalist for NHL's Willie O'Ree Community Hero Award
- Firebirds Select Forward Brennan Othmann Second-Overall in OHL Draft Saturday