Fire to Kick Off Team's Community Soccer Series May 21
CHICAGO, IL (May 15, 2009) - The Chicago Fire will launch its 2009 Chicago Fire Community Soccer Series on Thursday, May 21 at North Central College in Naperville, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. The series will feature four free clinics throughout the summer that will be held in neighborhoods around Chicagoland. The clinics are open to athletes from around the community, ages 7-13. The series is designed to instruct young athletes on the technical elements of soccer, while educating them on physical fitness, health, and wellness.
The clinics, which will be instructed by Chicago Fire player development coaches, will be separated into groups by age with sessions tailored to the varying skills levels. Each athlete will receive a free goody-bag courtesy of UnitedHealthcare, Best Buy, Walgreens, V & V Supremo and Adidas. Also included will be a ticket voucher to a Fire game and a free clinic Chicago Fire t-shirt.
Each clinic will feature:
- A skills clinic featuring soccer drills, technique instruction, and mini-games
- A question and answer opportunity with two Chicago Fire players
- An exclusive autograph session with the two Chicago Fire players
The first clinic will be held on Thursday, May 21, from 5:30 - 7:30 at North Central College, located on 455 S. Brainard St., in Naperville and will feature a special appearance by Fire players Stefan Dimitrov and Baggio Husidic. The clinics are free, but space is limited to the first 200 registrants. Participants must register in advance by contacting the Chicago Fire Community Relations Department at (708) 496-6754.
"The clinics are a great way for the Fire to give back to the community by working one on one with kids from throughout the Chicagoland area," said Husidic, the Fire's top selection in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. "They'll provide kids with all sorts of tools and tips to improve their soccer skills, stay focused on their goals, and make the right kind of healthy lifestyle choices."
The remaining three clinics will follow in June, July, and August.
"This is a great opportunity for the Chicago Fire and the players to have direct contact with our young fans and to share the same kinds of advice and guidance that many of us were given growing up," said first-year forward Dimitrov.
On Sunday, May 31, at 2 p.m. CT, the Fire will host Brimstone Cup rival FC Dallas for their final meeting this season. The Fire have a one game advantage in 2009 series, defeating Dallas 3-1 at Pizza Hut Park in the season opener on March 28. To purchase tickets please visit www.chicago-fire.com or call 1-888-MLS-FIRE.
ABOUT CHICAGO FIRE SOCCER
Chicago Fire Soccer was founded on October 8, 1997 as a Major League Soccer expansion team. The Fire won the MLS Cup in its inaugural season in 1998 and was crowned the champion of U.S. Soccer's national tournament, the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, in 1998, 2000, 2003, and 2006. In June 2006, the Fire moved into its world-class home of TOYOTA PARK, located in Bridgeview, IL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 15, 2009
- Mexican national team calls up Blanco for World Cup qualifying - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines San Jose Earthquakes Defender Aaron Pi - MLS
- Whitecaps First Doubleheader This Saturday - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Futbolito to Kick Off in New York on June 6 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Seek Fans to Film Public Service Announcement - FC Dallas
- Fire to Kick Off Team's Community Soccer Series May 21 - Chicago Fire
- The Official 4-v-4 Soccer Tournament of Major League Soccer, Returns This Summer With 13 Events Acro - MLS
- USA, Ireland Name Squads for Setanta Challenge Cup - San Jose Earthquakes
- Fire Announce 2009 SuperLiga Games and Teams - Chicago Fire
- Wizards Make First-Ever Trip to Rio Tinto Stadium to Face Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview: Saturday, May 16 v. K.C. Wizards - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire Signs Alan Gordon
- Nemanja Nikolic to Receive 2017 MLS Golden Boot Trophy Prematch on March 31
- Nemanja Nikolic Called in for Hungarian International Duty
- Chicago Fire Announces Time Change for May 5 Match against Atlanta United FC