Fifth Seed Clinched Mercury to Open Playoffs on Thursday at Grand Canyon University Arena
PHOENIX - The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury will aim for a league-record tying fourth WNBA Championship this postseason after the team tonight locked in the fifth seed in this year's WNBA Playoffs. With the fifth seed, the Mercury will host a Round 1, single-elimination game this Thursday, September 23. Due to a scheduling conflict at Footprint Center, the game will be played at GCU Arena on the campus of Grand Canyon University in Phoenix. Tickets to the Round 1 game will go on sale this Monday, September 20.
This postseason will mark the Mercury's franchise-record ninth consecutive playoff appearance (2013-21), 13th in the last 15 seasons and 16th in franchise history overall.
After clinching a playoff berth on August 31, the Mercury sealed its place as the fifth seed with a loss tonight in Seattle. Despite the loss, Phoenix is 11-2 since the Olympic Break, and has won 13 of its last 16 games overall. In the first round, the Mercury will face the eighth seed, which has not yet been determined. Phoenix returns home for the regular season finale this Sunday, taking on the Las Vegas Aces at Footprint Center at NOON on ABC.
Already the winningest postseason coach in franchise history, Mercury Head Coach Sandy Brondello has now reached the playoffs in all eight of her years at the helm of the Mercury, one of only two current heads coaches to reach the WNBA Playoffs in every season since 2014 with the same team (Cheryl Reeve - Minnesota). Since the league changed its playoff format to its current look in 2016, the Mercury is 7-2 in single elimination games and 4-1 in the first round.
2021 Playoff Dates
Round/Format Date Location Time
Round 1 (Single Elimination) Thursday, September 23 GCU TBD
Round 2 (Single Elimination): Sunday, September 26 TBD TBD
Semifinals (Best-of-Five): Tuesday, September 28 (Game 1) TBD TBD
WNBA Finals (Best-of-Five): Sunday, October 10 (Game 1) TBD TBD
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 18, 2021
- Kelsey Mitchell Continues Impressive Scoring Season against Lynx - Indiana Fever
- Fever Face Sky in Regular-Season Finale - Indiana Fever
- HBCU Night Recap - Los Angeles Sparks
- Storm Clinch First Round Bye with 94-85 Victory over Phoenix - Seattle Storm
- Fifth Seed Clinched Mercury to Open Playoffs on Thursday at Grand Canyon University Arena - Phoenix Mercury
- Las Vegas Clinches No. 2 Seed with 103-70 Road Win over Chicago - Las Vegas Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Diana Taurasi Voted by Fans as WNBA's Greatest Player of All Time
- Phoenix Suns Center Deandre Ayton Purchases 500 Tickets for Fans for Sunday's WNBA Finals Game 1
- Finals Bound: Mercury Advance to WNBA Finals for Fifth Time in Franchise History
- Kia Nurse Tears ACL, Out for Season
- Kia Nurse Injury Update