FC Dallas Holds Five Picks in 2021 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas on January 21
FRISCO, Texas - FC Dallas enters the 2020 SuperDraft presented by adidas with the 15th overall pick in the first round, 48th overall pick in the second round and 75th, 76th and 79th overall picks in the third round as the draft kicks off at 1 PM CT on Thursday, Jan. 21 on MLSsoccer.com, MLS social media channels and Pluto TV.
Things You Need to Know About 2021 MLS SuperDraft
How to Watch
The 2021 MLS SuperDraft will be held virtually for the second year in a row starting at 1 PM CT on Jan. 21. The show will stream live on MLSsoccer.com, the MLS App, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube as clubs make their First-Round selections, starting with expansion club Austin FC selecting first. Rounds 2 and 3 will not be streamed but will be tracked live via the MLSsoccer.com's SuperDraft tracker on Jan 21.
There will be 176 players eligible for selection. Players eligible for selection include college seniors, Generation adidas players, and players that have waived their college eligibility by signing to play in a domestic professional league.
Five current FC Dallas players were acquired through the draft: Nkosi Burgess (14th overall pick in 2020), Matt Hedges (11th overall pick in 2012), Ryan Hollingshead (20th overall pick in 2013), John Nelson (10th overall pick in 2019) and Ema Twumasi (11th overall pick in 2018).
How the SuperDraft Works
MLS SuperDraft 2021 will include three rounds and 81 selections. Rounds 1, 2, and 3 shall be conducted on Jan. 21, 2021. Any club that acquired a Round 4 pick via trade on or before October 29, 2020 will receive a compensatory pick at the conclusion of Round 3. Order will be determined based on the pick's original holder.
The first selection is held by expansion team Austin FC. The following eight selections are from teams that did not qualify for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs beginning with the team with fewest 2020 regular season points per game (3 points per win, 1 point per tie). The remaining 18 positions are ranked by fewest regular season points per game among the teams that were eliminated in the same round of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs.
View the updated draft order here.
What Happens After the Draft
Following MLS SuperDraft, Generation adidas players and select additional draftees will join their MLS clubs for the 2021 preseason, while others may continue to compete for their colleges before reporting to their MLS clubs in late May.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2021
- Four City Homegrowns Join CF Pachuca for Offseason Training Stint - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Extends Loan of Defender Jairo Quinteros to Club BolÃÂvar - Inter Miami CF
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Forward Maximiliano "Maxi" Urruti from Club de Foot Montreal - Houston Dynamo
- CF Montreal Acquires Defender Aljaz "Kiki" Struna - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Dallas Holds Five Picks in 2021 MLS SuperDraft Presented by adidas on January 21 - FC Dallas
- Chris Henderson Departs Sounders FC to Become Chief Soccer Officer & Sporting Director for Inter Miami CF - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Introduce "Touches for C.H.A.N.G.E." Program - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Names Phil Neville as Head Coach - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Appoints Chris Henderson as Chief Soccer Officer and Sporting Director - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Name Hernan Losada as Head Coach - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Announces Jersey Rights Partnership with MTX Group
- Major League Soccer Preseason Schedule Update
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to FC Bayern Munich
- Major League Soccer Announces Update to 2021 MLS Season Start
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Brandon Servania to SKN St. Polten