Fargo-Moorhead captures game, series
FARGO, N.D. - Fargo-Moorhead was able to score in four straight innings starting in the second as they captured a 7-5 victory in front of a sold-out crowd of 4,865 at Newman Outdoor Field on Sunday in the RedHawks' final home game of the regular season.
Richard Austin started the offensive outburst with a double to lead off the second inning and was driven in by an Allen Mottram RBI-single. Mottram later scored in the inning on a Scott Goodman sacrifice fly. Fargo-Moorhead plated four more runs over the next two innings before Goodman drove in the final RedHawks run of the game on a solo home run over the right field fence in the fifth inning.
RedHawks starter Brandon Goltz cruised through the first 10 batters he faced before walking two straight Cracker-Cats, followed by two straight doubles in the fourth inning and allowing three runs. Goltz returned to pitch the fifth inning but was then relieved by Brian Hewitt who gave up the final two Edmonton runs before giving way to Brian Adams who pitched to the final four batters of the game to pick up his 10th save of the season.
Joe Mathis scored two more runs and passed Chad Akers for the most runs scored in a single season, going 1-for-3 at the plate with a double and a walk. Mathis' double was his 38th of the season and is now two doubles shy of tying a Northern League record for the most doubles in a season.
The RedHawks will hit the road for their final eight games of the season to take on Calgary and Edmonton to bring the season to an end before starting the playoffs at home on Sept. 5. Fargo-Moorhead (27-13, 59-29) will send Todd George (8-4, 2.90) to the mound in the first game of the road trip which will start on Monday at 7:05 (CST) at Foothills Stadium in Calgary Alberta. All the action can be heard with Scott Miller on 970 AM WDAY.
NOTE: Brent Krause struck out three times to pass Clyde Williams for the most strikeouts in a single season.
Win: Brandon Goltz (9-1). Loss: Brett Lawson (7-6). Save: Brian Adams (10). Time: 2:49 // Attendance: 4,865
• Discuss this story on the Northern League message board...
Northern League Stories from August 27, 2006
- The final regular season homestand starts August 29 - Joliet JackHammers
- Sunday's home finale washed away - Kansas City Monarchs
- RailCats postponed in Kansas City - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Vipers sweep Goldeyes - Calgary Vipers
- Fargo-Moorhead captures game, series - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Flyers shut down JackHammers, turn up offense in 7-0 win - Schaumburg Flyers
- Former RedHawk aboard Delta airline flight 5191 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- NL Recap for August 26, 2006 - NL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks Bolstered with Key Signings
- RedHawks Re-Sign Grauer & Davis, Add 3 New Players for 2024
- RedHawks Bring Back Grauer, Davis; Add Depth to Roster
- RedHawks and MWC Advertising of Fargo-Moorhead Renew Broadcast Deal
- RedHawks Renew Broadcast Deal with MWC Advertising Fargo-Moorhead