Falcons Rally To Win Suspended Game In Shootout
Springfield, Mass. - Scott Howes scored a tying goal, while Jonathan Audy-Marchessault struck in highlight-reel fashion in the shootout on Friday evening at the MassMutual Center, as the Springfield Falcons (31-14-4-3) came back to win the continuation of a suspended game that initially began on Feb. 17 over the Adirondack Phantoms (21-17-2-2), 3-2.
On Feb. 17, Springfield grabbed a 1-0 lead at 5:51 of the first period on a power-play goal by Ryan Craig before Adirondack countered with two middle-stanza strikes by Rob Bordson and Danny Syvret to take a 2-1 edge. The game resumed on Friday with Adirondack up by a goal and Springfield commencing a two-minute power play with 3:42 left in the second.
Adirondack held off Springfield to close out the second, but the Falcons tied the game in the third, as Scott Howes banged in a rebound at 10:16 on a power play, making it 2-2.
Phantoms netminder Cal Heeter kept the game tied late in regulation, denying Craig on the doorstep with under eight seconds remaining. The teams skated through the end of the third period and all of overtime even, 2-2.
In the bottom of the third round, Audy-Marchessault pulled off a spin-o-rama goal. The second-year pro skated in close to Heeter, rotated 360 degrees, and slid the puck on his forehand into the net, as Springfield registered the only tally of the shootout
Springfield goaltender Allen York (7-5-0) made 22 saves in regulation and overtime, and was perfect on all five attempts in the skills competition. Heeter (8-12-2) stopped 41 of Springfield's 43 shots, and let in one goal on four bids in the shootout.
The teams returned to the ice on Friday night to play a full game, which began at 7:36 p.m.
Springfield wound up with 23 skaters in the game, as Nathan Moon, Sean Collins, Howes, Trent Vogelhuber, and Cody Bass joined the Falcons' lineup. Ryan Johansen, Jake Hansen, Tim Spencer, Wade MacLeod, and Dalton Prout played in the start of the Feb. 17 game...The game marked Springfield's second victory of the season when trailing after two periods, and first since Nov. 30...Howes returned to action for his first contest since Feb. 1...Springfield's 43 shots were a season high...The Falcons have won three-straight shootouts since losing their first three of the season
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2013
- Sound Tigers allow three power play goals, McIver scores first goal of season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- FALCONS ROUT PHANTOMS TO CLINCH FOUR-POINT NIGHT - Springfield Falcons
- Climie Nets Another Shutout for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Edge Bulldogs 3-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Devils Halt Crunch Win Streak - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale win 7-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Fall in Unusual Hockey Doubleheader - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Have Newfound Success - Manchester Monarchs
- Frazee, Devils Stop Crunch - Albany Devils
- B-Sens Edge Bulldogs, 3-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Checkers Lose Early Lead in Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins' Comeback Falls Short against Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bruins Defeat Sharks 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Bruins Score Three in 3rd to Sink Sharks - Worcester Sharks
- Monarchs Come Back with Shootout Win over IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Hold on to Defeat Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Rally To Win Suspended Game In Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Coyotes Recall Brown & Klinkhammer from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Sabres Recall Forward Brian Flynn from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Amerks to Host Irish Night Presented by Molson on Friday, March 15 - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Reassign Forward Richard Panik To Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Purple Game and Star Wars Night Headline Next Week's Slate - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Recall Nick Tuzzolino from Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Prout Recalled By Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Worcester Sharks Announce FINZ Pan-Mass Challenge Bobblehead Giveaway - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Netminder Magnus Hellberg Named AHL Goalie of the Month - Milwaukee Admirals
- Syracuse Crunch Right Wing Brett Connolly Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Connolly, Krug, Hellberg Named American Hockey League Award Winners - AHL
- Flames Recall Brian McGrattan, Reassign Akim Aliu - Abbotsford Heat
- Ebbett Heads Back to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Rockford and Peoria Meet Tonight at the BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- 'Canes Reassign Zac Dalpe to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Tom Wandell Clears Waivers, Assigned to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Griffins Sign Cody Lampl - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Assign Guentzel and Schaus to Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Bulldogs Sign Multi-Year Extensions with Copps Coliseum, Montreal Canadiens - Hamilton Bulldogs
- IceCaps Sign Josh Godfrey to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Adirondack, Game #49/#53 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.