Everblades Fall Short in Decisive Game 5
ESTERO, Fla - The Florida Everblades fell 3-2 to the South Carolina Stingrays in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Monday night at Hertz Arena. The Stingrays advance to face the Greenville Swamp Rabbits in the Eastern Conference Finals, and the Everblades finish the season with a first round loss. Cole Ully led the way with two goals for South Carolina on the night.
FIRST STAR: Cole Ully (SC) - two goals, +2, five shots
SECOND STAR: Dan DeSalvo (SC) - two assists, +2, four shots
THIRD STAR: Joe Pendenza (FLA) - one goal, three shots
South Carolina broke through in the first period when Dylan Stamen wrapped the puck around the Florida cage and chopped it into the net (15:49).
Down 1-0, The Everblades power play got to work in the second period. After receiving a pass across the slot from Alex Kile, Joe Pendenza ripped a shot past the sprawling South Carolina goaltender Hunter Shepard to tie the game at 1-1 (6:42).
Florida's Myles Powell and South Carolina's Mark Cooper were assessed minor penalties 36 seconds apart in the second period and in the ensuing four-on-four, Cole Ully gave the Stingrays the lead back with a sharp wrist shot (12:01).
The Everblades earned a power play late in the second, and the specialty unit rose to the occasion again. With 25 seconds left in the period, Cameron Hebig bombed a slapshot from the left circle that deflected past Shepard to send Florida into the second intermission locker room with a 2-2 tie (19:34).
Ully handed South Carolina a 3-2 lead in the third period when he picked the top left corner of the net from the slot for his second marker of the night (8:17).
The Blades attempted a comeback in the third with several dangerous scoring chances in the attacking end, but Florida ultimately could not find the back of the net to tie the game. Everblades goaltender Jake Hildebrand finished the night with 24 saves on 27 shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 14, 2021
- Thunder Season Ends with OT Loss to Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Ully Strikes Twice to Send Rays to Eastern Conference Finals - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans to Host Fort Wayne in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals on Friday - Allen Americans
- Everblades Fall Short in Decisive Game 5 - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - June 14 - ECHL
- Thunder, Komets Play Deciding Game 5 Tonight in Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Preview: Game 5 vs South Carolina - Florida Everblades
- Komets Play Decisive Game Five Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Preview: Game 5: Stingrays at Everblades, June 14 at 7:30 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.