Eskimos Select Eight in the 2019 CFL Draft
(Edmonton) - The Edmonton Eskimos made the following eight selections in tonight's CFL Draft.
Round 1 (3rd overall): Defensive Line | Mathieu Betts
The two time Vanier Cup champion became the first player in history to claim the J.P. Metras Trophy three times, making him the first to win four major U SPORTS awards during his career, including Rookie of the Year Award in 2015, and was named the U SPORTS Male Athlete of the Year for 2018.
Round 2 (12th overall): Offensive Line | Kyle Saxelid
The UNLV product started in all 12 games at left tackle in 2017, and 36 games over three seasons (2015-17). He enjoyed a stellar season in 2016, where Saxelid helped UNLV's rushing attack to 241.5 yards per game, which was ranked 16th in the country and was the program's highest average since 1979.
Round 4 (32nd overall): Fullback | Peter Cender
Cender attended Grand Valley State from 2016 to 2018 and appeared in 36 games. He recorded 11 receptions for 93 yards and three touchdowns.
Round 5 (40th overall): Wide Receiver | Shai Ross
Ross attended the University of Manitoba last year and caught 29 passes for 389 yards and four touchdowns. Ross joined the Bisons after spending time with the Okanagan Sun of the CJFL.
Round 5 (41st overall): Defensive Line | Evan Machibroda
Machibroda attended Saskatchewan from 2014 to 2017. He appeared in eight games this past season and finished with 14 total tackles, three quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery. Machibroda was named a 2018 All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star.
Round 6 (50th overall): Defensive Back | Scott Hutter
Hutter attended Wilfrid Laurier from 2015 to 2018 and appeared in 30 games. He recorded 135.5 total tackles, six-and-a-half quarterback sacks, 13 pass knockdowns, and 11 interceptions. In 2018, he was named a OUA Second-Team All-Star.
Round 7 (59th overall): Wide Receiver | Hunter Karl
Karl attended Calgary from 2015 to 2018 and appeared in 27 games. He recorded 134 catches for 2,286 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Round 8 (68th overall): Defensive Back | Eric Blake
Blake attended McMaster from 2015 to 2018 and appeared in 30 games. He recorded 70 total tackles, three quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles, two interceptions and one fumble recovery.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 3, 2019
- Cody Husband Officially Announces Retirement - B.C. Lions
- Eskimos Release Two Linebackers - Edmonton Eskimos
- Simeon Rottier Officially Retires from the CFL - Edmonton Eskimos
- Iconic Grey Cup Trophy Gets a New Base - CFL
- Alouettes Load up on National Talent - Montreal Alouettes
- Toronto Argonauts Announce 2019 Draft Class - Toronto Argonauts
- RedBlacks Welcome 7 Players on CFL Draft Night - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Riders Select Six Prospects in 2019 CFL Draft - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Stamps Select Nine Players in CFL Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- Eskimos Select Eight in the 2019 CFL Draft - Edmonton Eskimos
- First-Round Pick Gibbon Highlights Tiger-Cats Selections in 2019 CFL Draft - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- BC Lions Take Seven in 2019 CFL Draft - B.C. Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.