Errors Betray Wingnuts in Series Finale
WICHITA, Kan. - Two unearned runs helped the Cleburne Railroaders salvage the final game of the series from the Wichita Wingnuts with a 4-3 victory on Thursday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
After falling behind early, Wichita (8-5) grabbed a 3-2 lead in the fifth on a sacrifice fly from Abel Nieves, but the Wingnuts gave the lead back in the next half inning. Cleburne (6-7) got a leadoff single from Alex Polston, advanced him to third on a sacrifice bunt and groundout, then brought him home when Tony Thomas couldn't handle a grounder off the bat of Trevor Sealey.
With the game now tied at 3-3, the Railroaders surged in front in the eighth against Wingnuts reliever James Campbell (0-2). Blake Grant-Parks singled and advanced to second on an error by Isaiah Aluko, then scored when Sealey's liner popped in and out of the glove of Campbell for an RBI infield single.
Cleburne pounced on Wingnuts starter Jared Wilson for two runs in the top of the first, plating one on a wild pitch and the second on Patrick Palmeiro's sacrifice fly. Wichita had the answer in the third, scoring two of their own when Logan Watkins pounded an RBI double and Ryne Willard drove him home to knot the game at 2-2.
Railroaders reliever Tyler Wilson (2-0) earned the win with three scoreless innings of relief, striking out eight while only allowing one hit.
The Wingnuts will kick off a three-game series on the road against the Kansas City T-Bones. First pitch from CommunityAmerica Ballpark is scheduled for Friday at 7:05 PM. Wichita will start rookie Corbin Osburn (1-0, 1.80), while the T-Bones have yet to announce their starter. The game will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 31, 2018
- Treat Yourself Like Royalty with Princess & Pirate Night and a Replica Jersey - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Rally for Win in Finale - Cleburne Railroaders
- Errors Betray Wingnuts in Series Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Sweep Doubleheader with Pair of 8-2 Wins over Goldeyes - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wagner's Walkoff Lifts AirHogs Past Saints - Texas AirHogs
- Saltdogs Dominate in Batting, Goldeyes Fall in Both Games of Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Run out of Extra Inning Magic, Lose 7-6 in 11 to AirHogs - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in Doubleheader - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate RHP Myers from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- De La Cruz's Walk-Off Grand Slam Wraps up Series Victory for RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Nine Run Seventh Propels Kansas City to a 10-2 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Fall for Second Straight Night in Extras - Texas AirHogs
- Ninth-Inning Homers Sink Birds in Loss at Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.