De La Cruz's Walk-Off Grand Slam Wraps up Series Victory for RedHawks
FARGO, ND - Keury De La Cruz's grand slam to right field in the bottom of the ninth secured the RedHawks (7-5) an 8-4 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries (4-8) in front of 2,502 fans at Newman Outdoor Field on Wednesday night. The win is the second walk-off for Fargo-Moorhead in the three-game series against Sioux Falls.
The RedHawks were 0-1 in rubber games prior to tonight, but a six-run ninth inning tipped the scales in favor of the home team as they rallied to get back in the win column before a road trip to Gary-SouthShore.
Charlie Valerio started the inning off with a two-run home run to right field off Canaries closer James Jones that tied the game at 4-4. Leo Pina followed with a single, and advanced to second on a ground ball by Maikol Gonzalez. The Canaries elected to intentionally walk Devan Ahart to put a man on first and second with Brennan Metzger advancing to first on a call of catcher's obstruction to load the bases to bring up De La Cruz.
With the grand slam, De La Cruz now has three home runs and 14 RBIs on the year.
DJ Brown pitched seven solid innings for the RedHawks in his third start of the season. He gave up two runs on four hits while striking out one and walking two. He didn't give up more than one run in any inning. Brown did not factor into the decision, so he remains 1-0 through three appearances, with a 2.36 ERA.
Randy McCurry got the win for Fargo after coming in to pitch in the eighth inning. McCurry struck out two and walked none in 1.2 innings of work tonight.
With the win, the RedHawks move to 7-5 on the year, two games behind St. Paul (9-3) for the North Division lead. Fargo-Moorhead will travel to Gary to take on the Railcats in a three-game series beginning Friday, June 1 at U.S Steel Yard.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 31, 2018
- Treat Yourself Like Royalty with Princess & Pirate Night and a Replica Jersey - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Railroaders Rally for Win in Finale - Cleburne Railroaders
- Errors Betray Wingnuts in Series Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Sweep Doubleheader with Pair of 8-2 Wins over Goldeyes - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wagner's Walkoff Lifts AirHogs Past Saints - Texas AirHogs
- Saltdogs Dominate in Batting, Goldeyes Fall in Both Games of Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Run out of Extra Inning Magic, Lose 7-6 in 11 to AirHogs - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in Doubleheader - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats Activate RHP Myers from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- De La Cruz's Walk-Off Grand Slam Wraps up Series Victory for RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Nine Run Seventh Propels Kansas City to a 10-2 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Fall for Second Straight Night in Extras - Texas AirHogs
- Ninth-Inning Homers Sink Birds in Loss at Fargo-Moorhead - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- Lead-Off Homer in the Ninth Inning Runs Doom RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short for the RedHawks against Wingnuts
- Brown's Strong Start Leads RedHawks to Win over Wingnuts
- Early Inning Dominance Powers RedHawks to Series Win
- RedHawks Squeak out a Win; Tie Series with Kansas City