Error Costs Beavers in 5-4 Loss to Bees
Terry Evans scored from first base on a throwing error by third baseman Nick Green in the eighth inning and Nate Sutton was 3-for-4 with two doubles as the Salt Lake Bees took the opener of a four-game series from the Portland Beavers at Spring Mobile Ballpark Tuesday night.
Evans led off the frame with a single against Adam Russell (3-8) and Sutton hit a grounder to Green, who misfired his throw over the head of first baseman Craig Cooper to put the Bees (52-51) on top.
Former Beaver Paul McAnulty hit a key, two-run single in the fifth and Peter Bourjos scored two runs for the Bees, who have won six of eight from the Beavers (39-64) this season.
Kyle Phillips extended his hitting streak to 12 games and drove in two runs, Cedric Hunter was 2-for-4 with two runs and Mike Baxter hit his team-leading 11th home run for Portland, which fell a season-high 25 games below .500.
Bobby Mosebach (1-0) got the win despite giving up two runs on four hits in two innings.
Bees starter Eric Junge gave six strong innings, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out four. Cesar Ramos countered with 5 1/3 innings in which he gave up four runs on nine hits and three walks to go with five strikeouts.
Down 1-0 in the first, Mark Trumbo singled up the middle to score Bourjos.
Baxter's solo shot in the fifth gave Portland its second lead of the night before McAnulty lined a single to right against his former teammate Ramos.
The Bees added their fourth run in the sixth on a wild pitch by reliever Luis Perdomo. Chris Stewart and Hunter singled to start the seventh against Mosebach, moved up a base on Sean Kazmar's sacrifice bunt and tied the game at 4-4 on Baxter's subsequent groundout and Phillips' RBI single.
Recently-optioned Matt Palmer logged his first save with a scoreless ninth inning for the Bees.
The Beavers head to Salt Lake City to start a four-game series with the Bees on Tuesday night at 6:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Phillips' 12-game streak is tied for the second-longest on the Beavers this season, behind Baxter's 14-gamer ... Bourjos leads the PCL with 50 hits in July ... McAnulty was recently named to the Beavers' All-Decade Team for 2001-10 ... the game begins a stretch of nine games between the teams in eight days.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 27, 2010
- 51s Rally Past Aces, 7-5 - Reno Aces
- Error Costs Beavers in 5-4 Loss to Bees - Portland Beavers
- Round Rock Express Drop Opener at Oklahoma City 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Blow out Royals in Series Opener, 16-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Top 'Birds as West Tosses Gem - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Celebrity Dinner to Benefit Reno Aces Foundation - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Roll Past Grizzlies 14-7 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss