Eric Law Repeats as MLL Rookie of the Week
DENVER - For the second week in a row, Outlaws rookie midfielder Eric Law was named the Major League Lacrosse Cascade Rookie of the Week, the league announced on Monday.
Law, who earned his second Player of the Game Award in his second career MLL appearance, scored a game-high five goals in Denver's 13-9 win at Chesapeake on Saturday.
Law scored on all five of his shots, extending the perfect start to his MLL career to 9-of-9 as all nine of his shots have netted goals in the two games that he's played at the MLL level. His five goals tied for the most by any player in the league during Week 7 games.
Law opened the scoring in each of the four quarters of Saturday's win at Chesapeake that extended the Outlaws' unbeaten start to the 2013 season to 7-0.
Through two career games, Law has nine goals and leads the league with a perfect shooting percentage.
Law is the ninth Outlaw to earn a Rookie of the Week honor and it marks the 13th such award that an Outlaws player has won in the team's history. He is the second player to win the award in consecutive weeks, joining Mark Matthews, who earned the honor in Weeks 12 and 13 of the 2012 season.
Denver has four home contests remaining that include games against the Ohio Machine (June 22), Charlotte Hounds (June 29), New York Lizards (July 4) and Chesapeake Bayhawks (July 27). Tickets for those games are available on DenverOutlaws.com.
See below from quotes from Eric Law on his performance:
On whether he is surprised by his quick start to his MLL career
"Yes, I am surprised. You think of all the talent in this league and I am just so thankful for the opportunity to play with such amazing players."
On whether he was expecting a more difficult transition
"I was expecting it to take a little bit of time to transition but thanks to my teammates help I have been able to catch on."
On starting his career with nine goals on just nine shots
"My teammates have set me up and all of my goals have been right around the crease and I have been lucky enough to convert on all of my chances."
On how the team's offensive system fits his skillset
"It is a fast paced style that allows people to move with and without the ball. Our team is very unselfish and I have been able to benefit from that."
On continuing his lacrosse career in Colorado where he also played high school and college lacrosse "It is a dream come true. It is so much fun to play in front of my home town and help grow the sport in Colorado. It has been a blast to help the sport gain interest in the Denver area."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from June 17, 2013
- Eric Law Repeats as MLL Rookie of the Week - Denver Outlaws
- Ohio's Cummings Named MLL Player of the Week - Ohio Machine
- Cummings, Gurenlian and Law Named MLL Players of the Week - MLL
- Outlaws Partner With 'You Can Play Project ' - Denver Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Outlaws Stories
- Outlaws Win Third MLL Championship with Victory over Dallas Rattlers
- Denver Outlaws Lose 24-22 to Chesapeake BayHawks in Back-and-Forth Game on Sunday
- Denver Outlaws to Honor Mothers During Sunday's 'Real Men Weak Pink' Game against Chesapeake
- Denver Outlaws Acquire Attackman Kylor Bellistri in Trade with Boston Cannons
- Denver Outlaws Lose 16-7 to Florida Launch in Second Game of Weekend Doubleheader