Ohio's Cummings Named MLL Player of the Week
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Major League Lacrosse (MLL) named Ohio Machine (Machine) attackman Joe Cummings Warrior Offensive Player of the Week after his career high five-goal performance on Saturday in the Machine's 13-11 win over the Rochester Rattlers.
Cummings, who was also named Player of the Game, started the game off quickly for the Machine by scoring three of his five goals and second hat trick of the season in the first six minutes of the first quarter. Cummings scored his fourth goal right before the half to give the Machine a 9-6 lead and first halftime lead of the season. His final goal of the night came in the fourth quarter to give the Machine another three-goal lead and later the 13-10 win.
"Saturday was a great team win for the Machine. You can look across the board and see how everyone stepped up their level of play," said Cummings. "I'm looking forward to seeing how we continue to improve upon last Saturday's performance as we enter a touch match up this week in Denver."
In his second season with the Machine, Cummings currently leads the 2013 team in goals with 12 and is second for points with 16. Cummings, who joined the Machine in July 2012 after being traded from the Bayhawks, finished up his 2012 rookie season scoring seven goals and tallying four assists for a total of 11 points in only four games.
Before joining MLL, Cummings helped lead the University of Maryland to back-to-back NCAA Championship games and scored 31 goals and 19 assists during his senior season, becoming the first Terp in five years to record 50 points in a season. Cummings was also named to the All-Tournament Team, All-ACC team and was an Honorable Mention All-American.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from June 17, 2013
- Eric Law Repeats as MLL Rookie of the Week - Denver Outlaws
- Ohio's Cummings Named MLL Player of the Week - Ohio Machine
- Cummings, Gurenlian and Law Named MLL Players of the Week - MLL
- Outlaws Partner With 'You Can Play Project ' - Denver Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ohio Machine Stories
- Machine Acquire Former Ohio State Standout Freddy Freibott
- Machine Announce 2019 Ticket Pricing
- Ohio Machine Announce Creation of Machine Business Alliance
- Ohio Machine Coaches Winter Tour Announced
- Ohio Machine Sign Midfielders Kiel Matisz, Cam Holding, Tucker Ciessau and Jeff Edwards