Elizabethton Pulls away from Pirates
The Bristol Pirates extended their losing streak to four games on Friday night, after dropping the series opener with the Elizabethton Twins 7-3.
The Pirates had pulled within one run of the Twins after a two-out RBI single from Conner Uselton in the fifth inning, but a three-run eighth inning for Elizabethton proved too much for Bristol to overcome.
Uselton was the only Pirate with multiple hits in the loss, as he finished 2-for-4 with one RBI. Jonah Davis hit his 15th double of the season for the Pirates' only extra-base hit on the night. Davis is the first Pirate with 15 doubles in a season since Jhoan Herrera led the team with 15 doubles in 2016.
Friday's game marked back-to-back losses for Yeudry Manzanillo, as he allowed four runs on eight hits and one walk over five innings in his third start of the year. Will Kobos struck out four batters while allowing three runs -- one earned -- over 2 1/3 innings, while Joe Jacques allowed only one hit over 1 2/3 scoreless innings to finish out the game. It was the seventh time in his last nine appearances that Jacques did not allow an earned run.
The Pirates (29-34) remain three games out of second place in the Appalachian League West Division after Kingsport lost to Burlington 5-1 on Friday. Bristol will take on Elizabethton in the second game of their series on Saturday night at 7, as they now have five games remaining in the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 25, 2018
- Cards Break Single-Game Attendance Record in Tough Loss - Johnson City Cardinals
- Royals Take Game Two from Mets - Kingsport Mets
- Strong Start from Zamora Helps Cardinals Win Opener against Greeneville - Johnson City Cardinals
- Elizabethton Pulls away from Pirates - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates, BBI Signs New Lease to Keep Baseball in Bristol
- Bristol Pirates Announce 2019 Field Staff
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program