Eighth Inning Rally Lifts Wood Ducks Past Charleston
Kinston, N.C. - After a late two-out rally, the Down East Wood Ducks emerged with a 4-2 win against the Charleston RiverDogs. With a two-run double in the eighth inning, Thomas Saggese earns the Suddenlink Player of the Game.
For the first time this series, Down East (71-47) scored first, tonight in the bottom of the second. Cristian Inoa led off with a single and stole second (9). With one out, Saggese singled to put runners at the corners. During the at-bat of Keyber Rodriguez, a balk was called on Charleston starter Victor Munoz and Inoa scored to put the Woodies ahead 1-0.
The Wood Ducks added to their lead in the bottom of the fourth. With one out, Inoa singled and advanced to second when Saggese was hit by a pitch with two outs. Rodriguez followed with a single that scored Inoa from second to give the Woodies a 2-0 lead.
Charleston tied the game in the top of the eighth with two runs.
Down East quickly responded in the bottom of the eighth. With two outs, Inoa drew a walk and Jose Acosta entered as a pinch runner. Cody Freeman walked and Acosta advanced to second. With runners on first and second, Saggese plated both runners with a two-run double for the 4-2 lead.
Mason Englert took the no-decision but spun six scoreless innings, allowing two hits with one walk and eight strikeouts. Theo McDowell pitched 1 1/3 innings, allowing two runs with two walks and one strikeout. Eudrys Mañon (W, 3-0) earned the win, tossing 1 2/3 scoreless innings with three walks and one strikeout.
The series continues tomorrow with first pitch set for 6:00 p.m. RHP Nick Krauth (5-8, 4.15) gets the ball for the Wood Ducks and Charleston will turn to LHP Luis Moncada(7-1, 3.02).
Fans can purchase tickets on woodducksbaseball.com, by calling the Wood Ducks Team Offices at (252) 686-5164 or in the Wood Ducks Team Offices located at Grainger Stadium (Mon-Fri - 9am - 4pm). Make sure to follow your Down East Wood Ducks on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook so you don't miss anything!
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Eighth Inning Rally Lifts Wood Ducks Past Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- FredNats Break Attendance Record in 5-2 Win - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Perez Totals Three Hits in 10-5 Loss in Fayetteville - Carolina Mudcats
- Seven-Run Fifth Pushes 'Birds Past Red Sox for Third Straight Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - vs. Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes vs Kannapolis - Columbia Fireflies
- Red Sox Lose Two Straight, Tied with Wood Ducks for Second Place in Low-A East - Salem Red Sox
- Birds Drop Third Straight Game to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.