Edmonton Oil Kings and CMHA Edmonton Team up for Talk Today
[Edmonton, AB] - The Edmonton Oil Kings and Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), Edmonton Branch are teaming up to raise awareness about the importance of mental health when the Oil Kings host the Regina Pats on February 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM MT at Roger Place.
The awareness campaign is part of the ongoing commitment by the Oil Kings and CMHA Edmonton to implement Talk Today. Talk Today provides mental health support to players and raises awareness about mental health and suicide prevention throughout communities across the Western Hockey League.
A key piece of the Talk Today program has been to educate players about mental health and suicide prevention. Every team has received mental health training specific to suicide prevention. Each team is also now linked to a CHMA Mental Health Coach, who provides support and mental health resources to individuals in need.
"By hosting this event, the Oil Kings and the Western Hockey League are helping eliminate the stigma and discrimination associated with mental health issues and encouraging discussion within the community about mental health," said CMHA Edmonton Advocacy and Wayfinding Coordinator, Chelsea Butler.
"The Oil Kings are proud to partner with CMHA Edmonton to help grow the conversation surrounding mental health," said Daniel Troiani, Director of Business Operations of the Edmonton Oil Kings.
"Our organization is committed to building a safe environment for players and staff to speak up for support, but also prepare them to help others who are in need. We hope our fans will join us in helping break down the judgement surrounding mental health and increase awareness with our community. "
Tickets for the game are still available and start as low as $20.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2019
- Hockey Challenge 2019 is Sunday - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Veterans Confident Slump Is Temporary - Red Deer Rebels
- Ken King Receives WHL Governors Award - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Announces Ken King as Recipient of WHL Governors Award - WHL
- Edmonton Oil Kings and CMHA Edmonton Team up for Talk Today - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Kelowna Rockets Prepare for Chiefs - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview - Portland at Tri-City - Game #52 - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Preview: Blades Brandon Bound for Tuesday Tilt - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 2 of Corral Series Features Salute to Calgary Cowboys - Calgary Hitmen
- Special ICE Parent and Billet Recognition Night to be Held on February 15 - Kootenay Ice
- Tigers Announce Autograph Nights - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game Day Preview: Pats Kick off Central Division Road Trip in Lethbridge Tuesday - Regina Pats
- Americans to Host 14th Annual Fred Meyer Breast Cancer Awareness Night - Tri-City Americans
- Raiders Open Trip With Win Over Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Fix-Wolansky Named Eastern Conference Player of the Year, First Team All-Star
- Edmonton Oil Kings Claim 2018-19 Central Division Title
- Trey Fix-Wolansky Signs Entry Level Contract with Blue Jackets
- Dylan Myskiw Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Month
- Oil Kings Unveil Second Annual Star Wars Themed Jerseys