Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 8, 2021
The San Jose Earthquakes and FC Dallas played to a 1-1 draw on Sunday afternoon at PayPal Park to close out the 2021 regular season, finishing with a 10-13-11 overall record. Quakes captain Chris Wondolowski scored his 171st career goal to extend his own league record.
Wondolowski announced to fans following Sunday's season finale that he is retiring from professional soccer. Wondolowski owns nearly every scoring record in Major League Soccer and departs after 17 seasons.
On Monday, the Earthquakes announced that the club has hired Chris Leitch as general manager, effective immediately. Leitch has held a variety of roles with the Earthquakes over the past 13 years, including player (2009-11), technical director (2012-21), interim general manager (2016), and head coach (2017).
TEAM SPECIFIC - SEASON RECAP
The Quakes finished the season with a 10-13-11 record, 10th place in the Western Conference.
San Jose yielded a record of 5-6-6 (21 pts) on the road, marking their highest number of road points earned in a season since 2012 (9-5-3, 30 pts.).
San Jose recorded a total of 454 shots and 183 corner kicks, both seventh-most in MLS this year.
PLAYER SPECIFIC - SEASON RECAP
Between the Posts
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski made 33 starts this season, tied for third most among goalkeepers in MLS. Among all goalkeepers, Marcinkowski ranks second in saves (129) and saves percentage (70.9%). His 129 saves are the most by a Quakes keeper since 2019 (Daniel Vega - 108). He also recorded a career-high ten saves in a single match.
Forward Cade Cowell concluded his season with career-high totals in goals (5), assists (6), starts (14), games played (33), shots (42) and minutes played (1,664). Cowell, who just made his 50th MLS appearance, also earned the club's Young Player of the Year award and a selection to the 2021 MLS All-Star Team.
Midfielder Cristian Espinoza finished the season with a team-leading eight assists and three goals. Espinoza now has 30 assists for the Quakes, surpassing Landon Donovan and Eric Wynalda in assists into sole possession of eighth place in club history.
Nathan joined San Jose in June, helping the Quakes begin a 10-match unbeaten streak (3-0-7) in which the team conceded more than a single goal just once. Nathan also contributed offensively with two goals, earning him the club's Defender of the Year award.
Forward Chris Wondolowski tallied five goals this season, bringing his league record total to 171). He also holds the MLS records for combined regular season and playoff goals (173), goals for one club (167), game-winning goals (46), and goals in 1-0 victories (14), while ranking second in multi-goal games (25) and tied for second in hat-tricks (5).
Midfielder Chofis finished his debut MLS season with a team-high 12 goals, becoming the first Quakes player, apart from Chris Wondolowski, to tally 12+ goals in a single season since 2018 (Danny Hoesen - 12). His 12 goals also saw him tie for second in goals by any Mexican player in their first MLS year. His 16 goals + assists were also tied with LAFC's Cristian Arango for most among all newcomers in the league.
LAST GAME VS. FC DALLAS (11/7)
Extending the Streak
San Jose now holds a nine-game unbeaten streak against FC Dallas (4-0-5) and a five-game unbeaten streak vs. FC Dallas at home (2-0-2). The Quakes won this year's series (1-0-2).
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored his fifth goal of the season and 171st of his MLS career, extending his own league record.
Helping the Cause
Cade Cowell and Marcos Lopez each tallied an assist on Wondolowski's goal. The assist marked Cowell's sixth assist of the season and seventh of his MLS career, and Lopez's third assist of the season and sixth of his MLS career.
Cowell made his 50th MLS appearance on Sunday, which includes 33 starts.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 8, 2021
- MLS Announces Match Schedule and Broadcast Details for the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Whitecaps FC to Open Audi MLS Cup Playoffs at Sporting Kansas City - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Orlando City to Open 2021 Postseason Play on Tuesday, November 23 at Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Playoff Match Set for November 20 - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville Soccer Club Audi MLS Cup Playoff Match Tickets on Sale to the General Public Tomorrow - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United Open 2021 MLS Playoffs in Portland on Sunday November 21 - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Home Playoff Match Set for November 20, 2:30 p.m. Et - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake to Begin Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs at Seattle Sounders on November 23 - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Host Minnesota United FC on Sunday, November 21 in Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Set to Host First-Ever Thanksgiving Day Playoff Match - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC to Face Real Salt Lake on Tuesday, November 23 in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Draw Nashville SC, 1-1, on MLS Decision Day - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 8, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Two Additional Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Announce Chris Leitch as General Manager - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo and Dash Help Kick off Operation Stocking Stuffer with Houston Fire Department - Houston Dynamo FC
- A Historic Season in Review: the Rapids' 2021 Journey to a First-Seed Finish - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Damir Kreilach Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 35 - MLS
- Damir Kreilach Named Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 35 - Real Salt Lake
- Leandro González Pirez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- Lewis, Acosta, Fraser Earn Team of the Week Nod After Rapids Finish Atop Western Conference - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastián Blanco Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 35 - Portland Timbers
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Kamal Miller, James Pantemis, Samuel Piette and Romell Quioto Called Up - Club de Foot Montreal
- Five Points: Golden Boy - New York City FC
- Competitive Drive and Work Ethic Has Propelled Khaled Ali to FIFA Success - Charlotte FC
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2021 Roster Decisions - Chicago Fire FC
- Charlotte FC Sign Khaled Ali as Club's First-Ever eMLS Player - Charlotte FC
- Rapids Finish Atop the Western Conference, Earn Spot in 2022 Concacaf Champions League - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Battle Minnesota United FC to 3-3 Draw at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday Night - LA Galaxy
- Sporting Falls 1-0 to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign 16-Year-Old Midfielder Niko Tsakiris to Homegrown Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski to New Contract
- Earthquakes Select Stanford Forward Ousseni Bouda and Clemson Defender Oskar Agren in First Round of 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- MLS SuperDraft 2022 Takes Place Today
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 10, 2022