Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 10, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes announced last Saturday the schedule details for the continuation of the 2020 MLS regular season after receiving clearance from Santa Clara County to host matches at Earthquakes Stadium without fans in the stands.
The Earthquakes will play six matches between late August and mid-September, beginning with a clash against the Portland Timbers at Earthquakes Stadium on Wednesday, Aug. 26 . San Jose will then travel to back-to-back road matches against the LA Galaxy (8/29) and LAFC (9/2). The Quakes then host the Colorado Rapids (9/5), travel to Seattle to take on Sounders FC (9/10) and finish the slate of games at home against the LA Galaxy (9/13). The full schedule with kickoff times can be found below, with home games shown in bold. Broadcast information will be announced at a later date.
DATE OPPONENT TIME (PT) Wednesday, Aug. 26 Portland Timbers 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 29 LA Galaxy TBD Wednesday, Sept. 2 LAFC 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 5 Colorado Rapids 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 10 Seattle Sounders FC 7 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 13 LA Galaxy 8 p.m.
The Quakes have also received clearance from Santa Clara County to resume full-team training sessions this week at the Earthquakes Training Facility, in compliance with detailed health and safety protocols set by the county and Major League Soccer.
MLS Regular Season to Continue in Local Markets in August
Major League Soccer announced on Saturday that following the conclusion of the MLS is Back Tournament, the league's 25th season will continue in the home markets of the 26 clubs with the first game on August 12. The return to play in home markets will feature comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19. For more information, click here .
RENO 1868 FC UPDATE
Reno 1868 FC defeated Tacoma Defiance 2-1 last Saturday in their first home match since the USL season restart. The win was powered by forward Benji Kikanovic's strong performance, which included his first professional goal. In goal, rookie goalkeeper Eric De La Cerda recorded seven saves, tied for the second most in a single game in club history. The win, Reno's third straight, sees the team leading Group A with a 4-1-0 overall record.
Reno will return to action at home on Wednesday, August 12, in a rivalry game against Sacramento Republic FC. Kickoff is set for 7:15 p.m. PT, and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN+.
Earlier last week, Reno midfielder Christiano François was named the USL Championship's Player of the Week. François scored twice and assisted in the week's two games, both wins. François is the first player from Reno to be named to Player of the Week, and is still the only player to be named to Team of the Week. François was voted to team of the week after scoring and assisting in Reno's season opener.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2020
- Four Timbers Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, African Road Collaborate to Build Soccer Field in Rwanda - Portland Timbers
- Know Your Opponent: Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- MLS Makes History by Setting Guinness World Records(TM) Title - MLS
- Alan Pulido Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Best XI - Sporting Kansas City
- Seven Orlando City Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Orlando City SC
- by the Numbers: the MLS Is Back Final - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC and U.S. International Defender Walker Zimmerman Agree to Contract Extension - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Takes on the Portland Timbers for MLS Is Back Tournament Title - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Loan Julian Dunn and Dante Campbell to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch One Club, One Community, One Goal - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- MLS Debuts "Our Soccer" Campaign's New '25 Years in 25 Seconds' Spot Featuring Matthew McConaughey - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.