MLS Makes History by Setting Guinness World Records(TM) Title
August 10, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Major League Soccer announced today that it has been recognized by GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS for the largest single location professional soccer tournament for the MLS is Back Tournament at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World resort in Florida.
The news comes in advance of the tournament's highly-anticipated championship match presented by Wells Fargo between the Portland Timbers and Orlando City SC on Tuesday, Aug. 11 at 8:30 p.m. ET on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, TSN and TVA.
"This GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title will forever be remembered because of the incredible teamwork of everyone involved in the MLS is Back Tournament including our players, officials, and the staff at our clubs and League. During a uniquely challenging time, MLS was able to bring soccer back safely," said Mark Abbott, MLS President and Deputy Commissioner. "We are one game away from concluding this historic competition, yet we have already made history in many ways. Thank you to our entire soccer community for their commitment to this ambitious project and thank you to GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS for the recognition of this achievement."
MLS restarted the 2020 season on July 8 with MLS clubs competing in the MLS is Back Tournament. Approximately 750 players and nearly 500 staff participated in the tournament. With 51 matches in 35 days, the tournament was a compelling way for MLS to resume its milestone 25th season.
As part of the tournament, the League reimaged the soccer experience from home, with thousands of fans participating in virtual fan parties.
For the championship match, a professional artist representing each team will create a unique mural during the 90 minutes of the game, and Clubs will work with their supporters to design a virtual Tifo that will be displayed on the videoboards.
For more information on the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title and championship match, visit MLSsoccer.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2020
- Four Timbers Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, African Road Collaborate to Build Soccer Field in Rwanda - Portland Timbers
- Know Your Opponent: Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- MLS Makes History by Setting Guinness World Records(TM) Title - MLS
- Alan Pulido Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Best XI - Sporting Kansas City
- Seven Orlando City Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Orlando City SC
- by the Numbers: the MLS Is Back Final - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC and U.S. International Defender Walker Zimmerman Agree to Contract Extension - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Takes on the Portland Timbers for MLS Is Back Tournament Title - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Loan Julian Dunn and Dante Campbell to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch One Club, One Community, One Goal - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- MLS Debuts "Our Soccer" Campaign's New '25 Years in 25 Seconds' Spot Featuring Matthew McConaughey - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.