Seven Orlando City Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards
ORLANDO, Fla. - On Monday, Major League Soccer announced the nominations for its MLS is Back Tournament Awards, seeing seven Lions nominated across multiple categories.
Orlando City captain Nani has been nominated for both Player of the Tournament presented by adidas and Best XI presented by BODYARMOR. The Portuguese international leads the Lions in goal contributions at MLS is Back, having his hand in seven of Orlando City's 11 finishes throughout the competition.
Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese and defender João Moutinho have also garnered two nominations apiece for the MLS is Back Tournament Awards. With 16 stops and a save percentage of .762% through the Lions' six matches, Gallese has been nominated for the Golden Glove presented by Allstate along with Best XI. Moutinho has earned a nomination for Young Player of the Tournament presented by AT&T, part of a Lions backline that has yet to allow more than one goal in a single match throughout the entire tournament.
Joining Nani, Gallese and Moutinho with a Best XI nomination are defenders Antonio Carlos and Ruan, midfielder Mauricio Pereyra, and forward Chris Mueller.
Fans can vote online at MLSsoccer.com or at the league's social channels. The fan vote will account for 25%, with the media voting on the other 75%. The full list of nominations can be found below.
Player of the Tournament presented by adidas
Andre Blake (PHI), SebastiÃ¡n Blanco (POR), Nani (ORL), Diego Rossi (LAFC)
Young Player of the Tournament presented by AT&T
For this award, "young player" is defined as a player age 22 or younger. Any player who will be 23 or older at any point during the 2020 calendar year is ineligible (i.e. player must be born on or after January 1, 1998).
Brenden Aaronson (PHI), Ayo Akinola (TOR), João Moutinho (ORL), Diego Rossi (LAFC)
Golden Glove presented by Allstate
Andre Blake (PHI), Pedro Gallese (ORL), Thomas Hasal (VAN), Matt Turner (NE)
Best XI presented by BODYARMOR
Goalkeepers: Andre Blake (PHI), Pedro Gallese (ORL), Thomas Hasal (VAN), Matt Turner (NE)
Defenders: Michael Boxall (MIN), Brandon Bye (NE), Antonio Carlos (ORL), Raymon Gaddis (PHI), Chase Gasper (MIN), Andrew Gutman (CIN), Aaron Herrera (RSL), Mark McKenzie (PHI), Jonathan Mensah (CLB), João Moutinho (ORL), Larrys Mabiala (POR), Ruan (ORL)
Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson (PHI), Osvaldo Alonso (MIN), Eduard Atuesta (LAFC), SebastiÃ¡n Blanco (POR), Diego Chara (POR), Magnus Eriksson (SJ), Cristian Espinoza (SJ), Ethan Finlay (MIN), JÃ¡n GreguÅ¡ (MIN), José MartÃnez (PHI), Jesus Medina (NYC), Jamiro Monteiro (PHI), Maxi Moralez (NYC), Darlington Nagbe (CLB), Mauricio Pereyra (ORL), Alejandro Pozuelo (TOR), Victor Wanyama (MTL), Lucas Zelarayan (CLB)
Forwards: Ayo Akinola (TOR), Jeremy Ebobisse (POR), Jordan Morris (SEA), Chris Mueller (ORL), Nani (ORL), Alan Pulido (SKC), Diego Rossi (LAFC), Sergio Santos (PHI), Chris Wondolowski (SJ), Bradley Wright-Phillips (LAFC), Gyasi Zardes (CLB)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2020
- Four Timbers Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers, African Road Collaborate to Build Soccer Field in Rwanda - Portland Timbers
- Know Your Opponent: Portland Timbers - Orlando City SC
- MLS Makes History by Setting Guinness World Records(TM) Title - MLS
- Alan Pulido Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Best XI - Sporting Kansas City
- Seven Orlando City Players Nominated for MLS Is Back Tournament Awards - Orlando City SC
- by the Numbers: the MLS Is Back Final - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC and U.S. International Defender Walker Zimmerman Agree to Contract Extension - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Takes on the Portland Timbers for MLS Is Back Tournament Title - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Loan Julian Dunn and Dante Campbell to Valour FC - Toronto FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch One Club, One Community, One Goal - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 10, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- MLS Debuts "Our Soccer" Campaign's New '25 Years in 25 Seconds' Spot Featuring Matthew McConaughey - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.