Earthquakes Select Midfielder Brad Ring and Forward Quincy Amarikwa in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft
ST. LOUIS, Mo. - The San Jose Earthquakes added two players to the team in the 2009 Major League Soccer SuperDraft on Thursday at the St. Louis Convention Center. The Quakes picked midfielder Brad Ring in the second round (17th overall) and forward Quincy Amarikwa in the third round (32nd overall).
"We are happy with both of our picks this year," said General Manager of Soccer Operations John Doyle. "Brad is a versatile player that can potentially play right back or in center midfield. He comes from a good college program that has produced a lot of MLS players and we hope that he transitions well into the league. Quincy has been a standout all four years in college. He is an explosive player and we are looking forward to seeing what he can do at the next level."
Ring, 21, attended Indiana University, where he played 78 games, scored 14 goals and had 8 assists in his college career. He helped lead the team to NCAA Tournament berths in all four seasons. A first-team All-Big Ten honoree, the Rockford, Ill. native was also an NSCAA All-American Third Team selection and a NSCAA Scholar All-American in 2008. In 2006 and 2007, he was named to the NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region First Team. He was also a two-year MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist in 2007 and 2008, and a unanimous first-team All-Big Ten pick in 2007.
"San Jose has a bunch of talent and I am looking forward to the start of training camp," said Ring. "I need to go out there and prove myself and try to use my versatility to help the team. It is also nice going out there knowing that there are two former (Indiana) Hoosiers on the team (Ned Grabavoy and Nick Garcia)."
In high school, Ring was named the 2004 Studentsportsoccer.com fall season National Player of the Year and the 2004 State Player of the year by the NSCAA and the Illinois High School Soccer Coaches Association. A 2004 NSCAA/adidas High School All-American and a three-time conference MVP, Ring played club soccer for the Chicago Magic, leading the team to the Super Y-League North American Championship in 2004. He was also a member of the U.S. Youth Soccer ODP Boys Region II member and a U.S. Youth National Team training camp invitee in 2000 and 2004.
Amarikwa had an outstanding career for the UC Davis Aggies, capped off by a 15-goal campaign in 2008 to lead his team to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history. For his career, he appeared in 77 games over four seasons and scored 31 goals, while dishing out seven assists.
As a senior he earned second-team All-America and first-team All-Far West Region accolades from the NSCAA. Amarikwa also earned Big West Offensive Player of the Year honors following the best offensive season of his career in 2008. He finished as the conference leader in goals scored (15) and was second in points (31). He finished his career in the top five in both categories in UC Davis history.
Amarikwa's list of accolades also includes a spot on the TopDrawerSoccer.com Teams of the season, which is their equivalent of an All-America team, and Soccer America MVP's second team. As a junior, he was named All-Big West Second Team after scoring five goals to help team to an NCAA Tournament berth. A native of Bakersfield, Calif. he played for Liberty High School and the Bakersfield Alliance as a youth player.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2009
- Chivas USA acquires defender Ante Jazic, selects three players on busy SuperDraft day - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA MF Sacha Kljestan to train with Scottish champions Celtic F.C. - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas USA Original Francisco Mendoza officially joins Chivas de Guadalajara - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Agoos and Fawcett Elected to the Hall of Fame - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Make Steve Zakuani Top Pick - Seattle Sounders FC
- Crew Selects Three at MLS SuperDraft Thursday - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Selects MF Jean Alexandre with 12th Overall Pick in 2009 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Selects Four Players in 2009 MLS Superdraft - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Selects Five in 2009 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Select Four Players in 2009 MLS Superdraft - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Select Midfielder Brad Ring and Forward Quincy Amarikwa in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kansas City Wizards Select Five in MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Select Six in 2009 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Completes 2009 SuperDraft - Toronto FC
- Revolution adds seven in Thursday's MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Selects Three Players in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire To Face Club America - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC to Air Games Live on 97.3 KIRO FM - Seattle Sounders FC
- 2009 MLS SuperDraft to be broadcast on Toronto FC website - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.