Early Deficit Sinks Knights in 7-3 Loss
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) - The Charlotte Knights ended their homestand with a 7-3 loss to the Durham Bulls on Monday night at BB&T Ballpark.
Despite the defeat, the Knights end their eight-game homestand with five wins and they still own the best home record in the International League at 22-12.
The Bulls were quick to jump on Charlotte starter Jordan Guerrero (L, 2-6). Michael Brosseau's sacrifice fly got the scoring started in the first. Later in the inning, Joe McCarthy's three-run home run gave Durham a 4-0 lead. Mac James' home run in the second increased the lead to 6-0, and that deficit would be too much to overcome.
Guerrero rebounded to keep the Bulls from scoring for the rest of his outing. Over 5.0 innings, he gave up six earned runs on six hits with four walks and two strikeouts to suffer his sixth loss of the season.
Paulo Orlando got the Knights on the board in the bottom of the third with a two-run homer to left-center against Durham starter Luis Santos to trim the deficit to 6-2.
In relief of Guerrero, Zach Thompson was sharp, throwing 2.0 scoreless innings with one hit against and three strikeouts. Making his return from the injured list, Donny Roach pitched the final 2.0 innings and gave up one run with two strikeouts.
Orlando's second home run of the night, a solo shot to left in the bottom of the eighth, capped the scoring for the night.
With the pair of home runs, Orlando now has eight this season for the Knights and 10 overall. Rehabbing Chicago White Sox outfielder Jon Jay went 1-for-4 with a run scored in the loss.
The Knights hit the road to begin a six-game road trip with their first ever matchup with the Syracuse Mets on Tuesday night. Justin Nicolino (3-0, 3.72) is scheduled to start for Charlotte. Pre-game radio coverage of the 6:35 p.m. game is set for 6:20 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Early Deficit Sinks Knights in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Knights
- Robinson Cano, Brandon Nimmo, and Justin Wilson to Start MLB Rehab Assignments in Syracuse - Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights - June 11-16 - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Reyes Named IL Batter of the Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Poppen, Cave Earn Weekly Honors - Rochester Red Wings
- Poppen, Cave Win Weekly Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Lollygagger Night Highlights Homestand - Durham Bulls
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9
- Official Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Season
- Comedian Sid Davis to Entertain Fans at Truist Field on July 2nd
- Baseball Returning to Truist Field on Friday, June 19
- Truist Field Set to Open this Friday