Reyes Named IL Batter of the Week
The International League announced today that Toledo outfielder Victor Reyes and Rochester righthanded starter Sean Poppen have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period covering June 3-9. Reyes is the first member of the Mud Hens to claim an IL weekly award this season, while Poppen is the second member of the Red Wings to be so honored, following Lewis Thorpe (April 22-28).
VICTOR REYES, Toledo Mud Hens IL BATTER OF THE WEEK
Over the past week, Toledo's Victor Reyes led the International League in a slew of offensive categories, including batting average (.485), hits (16), home runs (5), RBI (15), runs scored (11), total bases (35), and slugging percentage (1.061). His hot hitting helped lead the Mud Hens to six wins over the week, starting with an impressive three-game sweep at Columbus in which Reyes went 10-for-15 with two doubles, four homers, and 12 RBI. Over the course of one week, Reyes improved his batting average on the year from .242 to .284. He is now 4th in the League in RBI with 45.
24-year-old Victor Reyes is in his eighth season playing professionally. The Tigers selected Reyes from Arizona in the 2017 Rule 5 draft. Since the beginning of the 2018 season, he has appeared in 102 big league games for Detroit. Reyes is a native of Barcelona, Venezuela.
SEAN POPPEN, Rochester Red Wings IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Sean Poppen made just his fourth appearance at the Triple-A level when he took the hill for Rochester Thursday at Syracuse. Poppen was dominant en route to his third Triple-A victory, tossing 7.0 shutout innings while allowing just two hits and two walks with eight strikeouts as the Red Wings coasted to a 9-0 triumph over the Mets. The victory improved Poppen's overall record for 2019 to 5-3 (2-3 with Double-A Pensacola).
25-year-old Sean Poppen is in his fourth season pitching professionally. He was selected by Minnesota in the 19th round of the 2016 draft out of Harvard University. He has yet to make his Major League debut. Poppen is a native of Chesapeake, Virginia.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Early Deficit Sinks Knights in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Knights
- Robinson Cano, Brandon Nimmo, and Justin Wilson to Start MLB Rehab Assignments in Syracuse - Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights - June 11-16 - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Reyes Named IL Batter of the Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Poppen, Cave Earn Weekly Honors - Rochester Red Wings
- Poppen, Cave Win Weekly Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Lollygagger Night Highlights Homestand - Durham Bulls
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.