Robinson Cano, Brandon Nimmo, and Justin Wilson to Start MLB Rehab Assignments in Syracuse
When the Syracuse Mets begin a six-day homestand on Tuesday at NBT Bank Stadium, fans will be able to see current New York Mets players with Syracuse. New York Mets infielder Robinson Canó, outfielder Brandon Nimmo, and pitcher Justin Wilson are all starting Major League rehab assignments with the Syracuse Mets on Tuesday.
Robinson Canó is an eight-time American League All-Star who is in his first season with the New York Mets. The 36-year-old played the previous five years with the Seattle Mariners and nine seasons before that with the New York Yankees. Canó was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2017 All-Star Game, won the 2011 Home Run Derby, and won the 2009 World Series with the Yankees. The Mets acquired Canó in a trade with the Mariners during this past offseason. Currently, Canó is on the injured list with left quad tightness. In 46 games with the New York Mets this season, the Dominican Republic native has a .238 batting average with three home runs, 13 doubles, and 14 RBIs. For his career, Canó has played in 2,124 MLB regular season games and has a .303 career batting average with 314 home runs.
Brandon Nimmo has spent his entire career in the New York Mets organization after the Mets drafted him in the first round of the 2011 draft with the 13th overall pick. The Cheyenne, Wyoming native is in his fourth MLB season after playing a career-high 140 games last year with New York. Nimmo was placed on the Mets' injured list with a stiff neck. The 26-year-old started a rehab assignment with the Advanced-A St. Lucie Mets on June 6th before coming to Syracuse.
Justin Wilson signed with the New York Mets during this offseason. Including this year, Wilson has eight years of MLB experience, having made 422 regular season appearances and pitching to a 3.36 ERA in his career. The 31-year-old has played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and Chicago Cubs before joining the Mets. Wilson has been on the injured list since early May with left elbow soreness.
The Syracuse Mets are home at NBT Bank Stadium from Tuesday, June 11th until Sunday, June 16th. For tickets to this upcoming homestand or any remaining Mets home game in 2019, visit the Onondaga Coach Ticket Office at NBT Bank Stadium Ticket Office or call 315-474-7833 during regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or visit syracusemets.com anytime.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Early Deficit Sinks Knights in 7-3 Loss - Charlotte Knights
- Robinson Cano, Brandon Nimmo, and Justin Wilson to Start MLB Rehab Assignments in Syracuse - Syracuse Mets
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights - June 11-16 - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Reyes Named IL Batter of the Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Poppen, Cave Earn Weekly Honors - Rochester Red Wings
- Poppen, Cave Win Weekly Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Lollygagger Night Highlights Homestand - Durham Bulls
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Mets Win Series Despite Dropping Series Finale to Indians, 9-1, on Thursday Night
- Boeheim's Army Coming to Syracuse Mets Game on Tuesday, July 23
- Syracuse Offense Thrashes Indianapolis for 15-5 Win on Wednesday Afternoon
- Tejada Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win in 5-2 Victory over Indians
- Syracuse Scores Most Runs in 13 Seasons in 20-1 Victory over Indianapolis on Monday Night