Eagles Fall in Rimouski to Conclude Three Game Road Trip
NOTES FROM THE GAME
-Tyson Goguen scored the opening goal for RImouski in the first period, Maxim Barbashev restored the lead in the second period and the Océanic led the rest of the way in a 5-2 victory over the Cape Breton Eagles. Lyam Jacques helped pace the Rimouski attack with three assists.
- Lucas Romeo scored both Eagles goals in a losing cause, with Jacob Newcombe assisting on his second goal.
- In a physical game that sometimes mirrored playoff intensity, a number of misconducts were issued, including a five minute major and a game misconduct for checking from behind to Rimouski's Charles Côté. Rimouski's Jakub Hujer along with Cape Breton's Romeo, Conor Shortall, and Cam Squires each picked up ten minute misconducts late in the third period.
- Quentin MIller stopped 23 of 25 shots in the win, while Nicolas Ruccia stopped 25 of 29 in addition to an empty net goal in the loss.
Goguen opened the scoring in the late stages of a Rimouski power play, and with Miller heading to the bench due to a delayed Eagles penalty. The goal came off of a backhand pass from Jacques. The Eagles were able to kill of the second penalty, and the game remained 1-0 after a fast paced period- the second half of the first frame featured a sequence of 5:04 without whistle.
Romeo knotted the score at the 4:40 mark of the middle stanza, beating Miller with a shot from the top of the left faceoff circle. The Eagles had a big opportunity to take the lead during the Côté major, the first 32 seconds being played at five on three with RImouski's Dominic Pilote also in the penalty box. But the Océanic killed the penalty off, and led heading into the third period after Barbashev converted a backhand pass from Jacques.
It was another Jacques pass that set up Jakub Hujer past the halfway mark of the third period, restoring a two goal cushion for Rimouski. Less than two minutes later, the Eagles pushed back, with Romeo putting the puck between Miller's legs after a pass from Newcombe.
The Eagles could get no closer. Maël St-Denis gave Rimouski another two goal lead when he tipped a Spencer Gill point shot past Ruccia for a power play marker. With three minutes left, Eagles coach Louis Robitaille elected to lift Ruccia for an extra attacker, but St-Denis wasted little time hitting the empty net to seal the win for Rimouski.The Océanic finished the game on the power play with Squires given a double minor in addition to his ten minute misconduct.
The Eagles will now return home to play Wednesday night in a key divisional match-up against Calgary Flames prospect Etienne Morin & the Moncton Wildcats! It will be a special night at Centre 200 as the Eagles welcome back former star Stephen Dixon for a special presentation and meet & greet! And prior to puck drop, the Eagles will hold a Billet Appreciation ceremony.
In the spirit of Valentines Day, the Eagles are offering a special ticket offer of 2 adult tickets for $30.
Puck drop is at 7 PM. Tickets can be purchased at https://shorturl.at/hxCHV or in person at
the Centre 200 box office and by the phone during box office hours at 902-564-2200
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. Lyam Jacques (RimouskI) 3 assists, +2
2. Maxim Barbashev (Rimouski) 1 goal, 1 assist
3. Tyson Goguen (Rimouski) 1 goal, 2 shots
Scratches For Cape Breton: Jude Campbell (injury), Angelo Fullerton (illness), Noah Larcohelle
Scratches For Rimouski: Luke Coughlin (injury), Maxime Coursol (injury), Ben Cross, Olivier Théberge
Final Shots On Goal: 30-25 in favour of Rimouski
Cape Breton Power Play: 0/3
Rimouski Power Play: 2/6
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Maritimes Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Maritimes Junior Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2024
- Eagles Fall in Rimouski to Conclude Three Game Road Trip - Cape Breton Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cape Breton Eagles Stories
- Eagles Fall 3-1 to Islanders on Thursday Night at Nest
- Eagles Return Home to Battle Islanders
- Eagles Set for Big Week at Home as Playoffs Approach - Eagles Recap 02/21/2024
- Eagles Run into Hot Goalie, Fall in Shootout in Saint John
- Eagles in Saint John for Holiday Matinee