Dynamo Honor Houston's Past and Future with 2019 "Energy Kit"
HOUSTON - Houston has long been known as the Energy Capital of the World due to the massive oil and gas industry presence that helped build the city into America's fourth-largest and most diverse community. From the first gusher on Spindletop to the Eagle Ford Shale, oil has driven Houston's economy for generations.
What makes the city special today extends far beyond those commodities, however. Today's Houston has its own unique energy that is sparked by a diverse and vibrant cultural and creative community. From genre-defining musicians to award-winning chefs and mixologists to world-class physicians and world-renowned artists, H-Town has a style and flair all its own.
That vibrant energy and resilient, hard-working mentality inspired the creation of the 2019 Houston Dynamo home jersey, dubbed the Energy Kit. The shirt showcases the club's iconic orange primary color but incorporates Space City Blue on the collar as a nod to the blue-collar mentality that built the city. A sublimated pattern of jagged diagonal stripes evokes classic illustrations of lightning.
The chest of the jersey features the MD Anderson Cancer Center's strike-through-cancer logo. MD Anderson has been an integral part of the Houston community for more than 75 years and is known as one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention.
The shirt features the Texas flag on the lower left corner and three black stripes running vertically on either side of the torso. Capping off the shirt is the familiar Dynamo crest over the left breast, with two stars representing the club's two MLS Cup titles in 2006 and 2007.
To unveil the jersey, the club teamed up with many of the leaders of Houston's music, arts and food community to showcase the energy, passion and creativity that moves the Bayou City. Hip-hop icon Bun B was photographed in the jersey at his recording studio in the Heights, while GONZO, who helped unveil the club's inaugural "Paint It Black" alternate jersey with a graffiti mural in 2016, snapped some images in the Energy Kit at Graffiti Park in EaDo.
James Beard Award-winning chef Hugo Ortega donned the shirt in the kitchen of his namesake restaurant in Montrose; and Bobby Heugel, the creative genius behind many of Houston's most innovative bars and restaurants, sported the new jersey behind the bar at Better Luck Tomorrow in the Heights.
MD Anderson president Peter WT Pisters, M.D., joined in the club's unveiling, showing off the jersey at the institution's main campus in the Texas Medical Center, while Houston's high-energy mayor, Sylvester Turner, donned the shirt inside his downtown office at City Hall.
Dynamo midfielders Memo Rodriguez and Tommy McNamara showed off the full kit, which pairs orange shorts and socks, each with three black stripes, to create the first all-orange primary kit in club history.
The team will debut the Energy Kit at home on Tuesday, Feb. 26 when they take on CD Guastatoya in the second leg of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions Leg Round of 16.
Fans' first opportunity to purchase the Energy Jersey will be on Friday, March 1 at MLSstore.com. Both orange and black jerseys will be available for purchase at the adidas Dynamo team store located inside BBVA Compass Stadium on Opening Day, Saturday, March 2 beginning at 10 am.
The Dynamo kick off the 2019 MLS season vs. Real Salt Lake on Saturday, March 2 at 5 pm. Get the party started with live music from Bun B and Los Skarnales in the Bud Light Beer Garden, then get inside for a free soccer ball giveaway to the first 5,000 fans! Tickets start at $24.
Dynamo 365 Season Memberships are available at HoustonDynamo365.com starting at just $22 per game with exclusive benefits including a 15% discount at the adidas Dynamo team store, special offers and presales, and invitations to exclusive Members-only events.
Visit HoustonDynamo.com for tickets or more information on the Dynamo Energy Kit.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2019
- LAFC Signs Three Players Ahead of 2019 Season - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Announce #Since96 Week Programming in Buildup to 2019 Opening Match on March 2 - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Announces Justin Sutherland as Official Culinary Consultant - Minnesota United FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2019 #MLSisBack Week Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Anatole Abang to Nantong Zhiyun FC - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Promotes Ben Cross to First Team Assistant Coach - Columbus Crew SC
- Quakes, NBC Sports Bay Area & California Announce 2019 Local Broadcast Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Signs 2019 SuperDraft No. 4 Overall Pick Callum Montgomery - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Honor Houston's Past and Future with 2019 "Energy Kit" - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire, Chicago Red Stars to Host April 20 Doubleheader at SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Fall to the Philadelphia Union 2-1 in Preseason Fixture - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Falls 2-0 to Club Nacional Wednesday Evening in Preseason International Friendly - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Sign Defender Kyle Adams from RGV FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign GK Cody Cropper
- BBVA Stadium Hosts Dynamo Fan Fest on Saturday, January 25
- Individual Tickets for All Houston Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park