Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
HOUSTON - With no matches on the immediate horizon due to the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic, the Houston Dynamo will take fans down Memory Lane with a new Dynamo Classic Rewind series on KUBE 57 and HoustonDynamo.com.
The series will highlight several of the most notable matches in club history, with matches airing on KUBE 57 every Saturday night at 7 p.m. and streaming on HoustonDynamo.com on demand Wednesdays starting at 8 a.m.
The series begins on Wednesday, March 25 on HoustonDynamo.com with "Welcome to Houston, Dynamo" the first match in club history. More than 25,000 fans turned out to Robertson Stadium for the city's first Major League Soccer match and were treated to a thriller, as the Dynamo hammered the Colorado Rapids 5-2 behind a club-record four goals from forward Brian Ching.
The first match on KUBE 57 features one of the most notable individual performances in recent years as the Dynamo traveled into the Rockies for a showdown with the Colorado Rapids on March 30, 2019. "Elis Unstoppable in 4-1 Win" will air at 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 28. As the show title implies, forward Alberth Elis was a one-man wrecking crew on the night, scoring a goal, registering an assist and forcing two Rapids own goals in a dominant performance.
Ching finished with 14 goals in his first season with the Dynamo, but no goal is more memorable than a last-minute strike against D.C. United on a steamy September evening at Robertson Stadium in 2006. "Ching's Goal of the Year" is the second match scheduled to stream on HoustonDynamo.com on Wednesday, April 1. The striker's bicycle kick gave Houston a 1-0 win and was later voted MLS Goal of the Year - still the only time a Dynamo player has won that award.
"First Year, First Title" will air on KUBE 57 on Saturday, April 4 as the Dynamo cap off their first season in H-Town with a dramatic victory over the New England Revolution in the 2006 MLS Cup. A tense and tight contest throughout, the match was scoreless through 90 minutes as both teams saw their goalkeepers make dramatic saves and golden scoring chances go begging. In the second period of added extra time, New England appeared to seize control when forward Taylor Twellman broke the deadlock, but before the Revs could blink, Houston had tied things up just 71 seconds later thanks to a header from Ching. The match went to penalties before goalkeeper Pat Onstad came up with what is still the most iconic save in Dynamo history to deliver the Club's first title.
Additional matches will air each Wednesday and Saturday through at least mid-May as the 2020 Major League Soccer is suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Subsequent matches will be announced weekly.
DATE TIME GAME TV/STREAM
Wed., March 25 On Demand Welcome to Houston, Dynamo
- Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids on April 2, 2006 HoustonDynamo.com
Sat., March 28 7:00 p.m. Elis Unstoppable in 4-1 Win
- Houston Dynamo at Colorado Rapids on March 30, 2019 KUBE 57
Wed., April 1 On Demand Ching's Goal of the Year
- Houston Dynamo vs. D.C. United on Sept. 30, 2006 HoustonDynamo.com
Sat., April 4 7:00 p.m. First Year, First Title
- Houston Dynamo vs. New England Revolution on Nov. 12, 2006 KUBE 57
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 24, 2020
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Goalkeeper Chris Brady - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC Join Forces with Doctors of BC to Support Message to #StayHome - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo and Rio Grande Valley FC among seven teams in Texas to compete in new MLS initiative
- Houston Dash to Conduct Voluntary Individual Workouts this Afternoon, Dynamo to Begin Thursday
- Houston Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas in eMLS Tournament
- MLS, Houston Dynamo to Begin Individual Player Workouts May 6
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Looks at Fourth MLS Conference Title in Club History