Dust Devils Complete Sweep Over Bears Saturday
The Tri-City Dust Devils completed a three-game sweep over the Yakima Bears with a 7-2 Saturday night win at Gesa Stadium. The Dust Devils won the final eight meetings of the regular season against the Bears.
The Bears jumped out to a 2-0 lead with a run in the first and a run in the second. The Bears loaded the bases in the first inning with two walks and a single, and scored the run on an errant pick-off attempt by the catcher at third base. In the third, Garrett Weber hit a single to score Westley Moss, who had reached on a lead-off double, from second base.
After scoring a run in the third, the Dust Devils tied the game in the fifth and scored two more off of Bears starter Yiomar Camacho in the sixth. Camacho, who picked up his first Northwest League loss, gave up only one earned run among the four runs scored off of him in five and a third innings.
Reliever Greg Robinson was the only other Bears pitcher to take the mound, and he allowed three earned runs on three hits and five walks in his two and two thirds innings.
The Bears were outhit 9-7 in the game, and were shutout for the final five innings by the Tri-City bullpen. Both Weber and Henry Zabala went 2-for-4. The Dust Devils had three extra-base hits and four stolen bases in the game.
Following the three-game sweep, the Bears have fallen to 10-15 in the second half. While still tied for third following Saturday night's action, the Bears are six games behind first-place Tri-City with only 13 games left in the regular season.
The Bears open a three-game homestand Sunday against the Boise Hawks at Yakima County Stadium. Game time is set for 5:35. Lefty Adam Kudryk is expected to pitch for the Bears, while right-handed pitcher Austin Reed is the probable starter for the Hawks.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 21, 2011
- Canadians Take Slugfest To Open Series In Salem - Vancouver Canadians
- Comerota and Kudryk Lead Bears to Victory - Yakima Bears
- Hawks Fall to Bears 4-1 - Boise Hawks
- Sellout Crowd Enjoys Fireworks as Indians Drop Series Finale - Spokane Indians
- Offense busts out to help Canadians salvage series against Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Shepherd Shepherds Tri-City to Sweep - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Dust Devils Complete Sweep Over Bears Saturday - Yakima Bears
- Hawks win 7-3 - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.