Comerota and Kudryk Lead Bears to Victory
The Yakima Bears defeated the Boise Hawks 4-1 Sunday at Yakima County Stadium in the first game of a three-game series. The Bears improved to 11-15 in the second half of the Northwest League season with the victory.
The Bears went to work right away, with Jimmy Comerota hitting a two-run home run after Danny Pulfer had reached on an error in the first inning.
A walk Comerota walk, Austin Reed wild pitch, Garrett Weber single, and a Henry Zabala groundout manufactured a Bears run in the third inning.
Tyler Bream scored the final run of the game for the Bears, as he led off the fourth with a double and eventually scored from third base on a Westley Moss sacrifice fly.
The Hawks were held scoreless for the first five innings by Bears starting pitcher Adam Kudryk. Kudryk gave up a run in this sixth, but it was the only run scored by Boise all game. Kudryk improved to 3-4 after allowing only one run in seven innings of work.
Behind Kudryk, Victor Acosta and Justin Albert each pitched a perfect frame, with Albert earning his four save in his fourth save opportunity.
The Bears outhit the Hawks 8-6, but several other factors led to the Bears win. Three of the Bears hits were extra-base hits, while Boise had just one double in the game. The Bears stole three bases, while Boise didn't even attempt one. Also, the Hawks committed four of the games five errors.
Weber went 3-for-3 with a double and a stolen base. Moss finished 2-for-3 with a stolen base and a RBI. Comerota went 1-for-2, with a walk, a stolen base, two RBIs, two runs, and he hit his first home run of the season.
The Bears and Hawks continue the series Monday at Yakima County Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 7:05. Bears right-handed pitcher Alex Capaul is expected to start against Hawks lefty Willengton Cruz.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 21, 2011
- Canadians Take Slugfest To Open Series In Salem - Vancouver Canadians
- Comerota and Kudryk Lead Bears to Victory - Yakima Bears
- Hawks Fall to Bears 4-1 - Boise Hawks
- Sellout Crowd Enjoys Fireworks as Indians Drop Series Finale - Spokane Indians
- Offense busts out to help Canadians salvage series against Everett - Vancouver Canadians
- Shepherd Shepherds Tri-City to Sweep - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Dust Devils Complete Sweep Over Bears Saturday - Yakima Bears
- Hawks win 7-3 - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.