Dubuque Dominates Second Period, Tops Lincoln 4-2
The Dubuque Fighting Saints scored three goals in the second period to knock off the Lincoln Stars and complete their first season sweep of Lincoln since the 2014-15 season. Dubuque grabbed goals from Matias Maccelli, Logan Pietila, Verners Egle and Dallas Tulik in their victory. The win was Dubuque's third in a row and second in a row at home.
-Maccelli got the scoring started early for Dubuque with the quickest tally of the season so far for the Fighting Saints. His goal, 50 seconds in, set the tone for the rest of the game as Dubuque was all over Lincoln, outshooting them 14-5 in the first period.
-The Stars tallied early in the second period as Shane Pinto, the breakout star in Lincoln, scored his 17th of the season. Pinto is the teams' leading scorer and second in the USHL in rookie scoring.
-After the Pinto goal in the second, Dubuque was a team on a mission. Logan Pietila notched his 9th of the season on a gorgeous feed from Matias Maccelli just two minutes after Pinto scored. After that, Verners Egle and Dallas Tulik tallied two minutes apart after the midway point of the second to put Dubuque ahead for good.
-The second period has been the best period statistically for the Fighting Saints this season and it showed. The team had the three goals, but also outshot Lincoln 12-7.
-With the goal, Tulik snapped a nine game point drought. Tulik had three points in his first two games with Dubuque and despite playing quality hockey, couldn't find his way back on the scoresheet until tonight.
-Chris Lipe had a quiet two points on the back end as he notched two secondary assist. Lipe is the leader in plus-minus on the Fighting Saints and rarely plays a poor defensive game. Lipe was rewarded with the two points and also contributed his normal shutdown defense.
-Matthew Thiessen didn't have to do much, but made a couple big stops late for Dubuque to preserve the victory. Thiessen turned away 16 shots for his ninth win of the season and just his second on home ice.
-Lincoln's struggles continued away from home, dropping their third game in a row to finish off the weekend. Lincoln cut the deficit to two early in the third period and showed a late push, but Dubuque held them off.
-The Fighting Saints will be back in action tomorrow as the team has a quick turnaround once again. Dubuque will tussle with Madison for the second time this season. The Capitols took the first meeting 2-1 on Dubuque's home ice.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2019
- Steel Come Back, Beat Gamblers 4-2 Saturday Night - Chicago Steel
- Late Game Push Isn't Enough To Get Past Stampede - Sioux City Musketeers
- Hawks Slip Versus Storm - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Central Illinois Bested by Team USA in Wild Shootout Loss - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Stampede Top Musketeers on Hockey Day South Dakota - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Dubuque Dominates Second Period, Tops Lincoln 4-2 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Youngstown Takes Down Muskegon on "Star Wars Night" - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stars Can't Rally in Dubuque, Fall 4-2 - Lincoln Stars
- Preview - Stars vs Fighting Saints - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Set for Teddy Bear Toss/Sammy's Superheroes Night - Tri-City Storm
- Weekend Primer: Saints Set to Take on Stars, Capitols to Finish off Three-Game Weekend - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- The Wolfe Howls in 5-4 Overtime Win Friday Night - Chicago Steel
- Tri-City Shuts out Waterloo to Claim Top Spot in USHL Standings - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Pregame Primer: Dubuque Treks to Tri-City for First True Road Game
- Saints Score Twice on Power Play in Third to Beat Capitols 3-2
- Pregame Primer: Saints Host Capitols for Home Opener
- Dubuque Clips Capitols 4-3, Improve to 2-0 on Season
- Three Goal Second Propels Dubuque to Win in Season Opener