Drive Shutout Rome, 4-0, in Series Opener Thursday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive blanked the Rome Braves, 4-0, in the series opener on Thursday night at Fluor Field. Drive hurlers Chris Machamer, Oddanier Mosqueda and Logan Browning teamed up to shut out the Braves on the night.
The Drive managed all four of their runs in the third. Korby Batesole led off the inning with a walk and Cole Brannen doubled to left center to put runners at second and third. Tyler Esplin recorded the second of his three hits with a single to right to bring home both runners and make it a 2-0 Drive lead.
The inning continued from there with back-to-back walks to Devlin Granberg and Kole Cottam, loading the bases with no outs. Triston Casas singled to left to score Esplin and keep the bases loaded. Brandon Howlett followed with a sac fly to left to bring in Granberg from third and push it to 4-0. A popout and a strikeout ended the inning with no further damage done but the Drive had gotten all they would need.
Machamer (1-0) picked up his first win of the season, working 5.0 scoreless innings and allowing just three hits with four strikeouts against three walks. The Braves managed just one runner past second base against the righty.
The Drive bullpen turned in one of its best performances of the year. Mosqueda worked 3.0 scoreless innings in relief, allowing just a pair of hits with four strikeouts against no walks. Browning finished it off with a scoreless ninth inning, recording a pair of strikeouts to preserve the shutout, as Rome left the bases loaded in the final frame.
The series continues on Friday with a 7:05 PM first pitch. Greenville sends Brayan Bello (1-0, 2.00 ERA) to the hill against Rome's Odalvi Javier (0-0, 7.04 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2019
- Homer Parade Gets 'Birds Streak to Ten - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Score Five Unanswered, Fall Short of Comeback in Augusta - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rasquin Leads Chicharrones to First Walk-Off Win - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Walk Their Way to 7-5 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Shutout Rome, 4-0, in Series Opener Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Kroon Delivers as Claws Win 8-6 on Thursday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 18 vs. Hickory (Game 14) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 18) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Takes Series with 2-1 Victory - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Drive Recognized with Multiple South Atlantic League Awards
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
- Third Inning Pushes GreenJackets Past Drive
- Sixth, Seventh Innings Power Drive to Win over GreenJackets