Drillers Complete Sweep over RoughRiders
TULSA - Cody Thomas and DJ Peters each launched two-run homers on Wednesday afternoon at ONEOK Field as the Tulsa Drillers stayed hot and completed a three-game sweep of the Frisco RoughRiders. The home runs backed a strong outing from starting pitcher Justin De Fratus as Tulsa defeated Frisco 6-2. The Drillers are a perfect 6-0 against the RoughRiders this season and have now won 12 straight games against the 'Riders dating back to last year.
The Drillers got the scoring started quickly in the bottom of the first inning. After Gavin Lux singled to lead off the inning, Thomas hit a line drive into the bullpen beyond the right field wall to give Tulsa a 2-0 lead.
The Drillers added to their lead with a big fifth inning. With runners on first and second, Zach McKinstry lined a double into the right-center gap, scoring both runners. Peters capped the inning with a towering home run that landed in the Busch Terrace in left field, extending the Drillers lead to 6-0.
De Fratus was once again very good in his start on the mound. Frisco was able to put two runs on the board in the sixth, but that was all the former major leaguer would allow. De Fratus struck out five in his second consecutive seven-inning start.
Yordy Cabrera was called upon to record the final six outs of the game. He did just that, allowing only one hit and preserving the Drillers third straight victory.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*Carlos Rincon's fifth-inning double extended his hitting streak to 11 games, the longest of the season for a Drillers hitter. Three other players have had 10-game streaks.
*De Fratus picked up his fourth win of the season, joining Marshall Kasowski and Andre Scrubb for the most on the team.
*Peters has now homered in consecutive games for the second time this season (May 4-5 vs. Corpus Christi). He is 6-15 in his current four-game hitting streak with two homers and five RBI.
*Drew Avans made his first Double-A start since being called up from Rancho Cucamonga. He is still in search of his first hit with the Drillers, but he scored his first run after getting hit by a pitch.
UP NEXT: Amarillo at Tulsa, Thursday, June 20 at 7:05 PM at ONEOK Field in Tulsa. RHP Emmanuel Ramirez (6-4, 4.11 ERA) vs. RHP Edwin Uceta (0-2, 17.18 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Travelers Trounce Hooks in Series Finale - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Rally Late for Series Win over Soddies - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Naturals Win Series Behind Rivera's Big Day - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Bullpen Stout Again in 6-2 Loss to Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Complete Sweep over RoughRiders - Tulsa Drillers
- Second Half Begins with 8-2 Loss in Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- 'Hounds Nip Cards, 4-2, in 2nd Half Opener - Springfield Cardinals
- Diaz's Big Night Leads RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles Drop Second Half Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- Drillers TCL Team Begins Play as MiLB Season Is Officially Cancelled
- July 3 and 4- Fireworks and High School Baseball
- Live Baseball Returns to ONEOK Field with First-Ever Game for Drillers TCL Team Set for June 30
- ONEOK Field to Host High School Senior Baseball Series July 3 & 4 Presented by Tulsa Tech
- ONEOK Field, Drillers to Host Team in Elite Collegiate League