Diana Taurasi Named Western Conference Player of the Week
PHOENIX - Mercury guard Diana Taurasi was named the WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week for games played Monday, August 8 through Sunday, August 14, the league office announced today. The award marks Taurasi's first weekly honor this season and the 14th of her career.
Last week, Taurasi led all Western Conference players and ranked third in the league in scoring (22.7 ppg) as the Mercury posted a 2-1 record. She also ranked among the conference's leaders in free throw percentage (.867 on 13-of-15 from the line) and assists (4.3 apg).
Taurasi opened the week leading Phoenix with 26 points and six rebounds in an 85-80 win over West-leading Minnesota. It marked the third time this season the Mercury has defeated the top team in the West (June 21 at San Antonio and July 13 at Minnesota).
She followed that performance with 21 points and five assists in a 109-95 defeat of the defending Eastern Conference Champion Atlanta Dream. The league's leading scorer at 20.9 points per game closed out the week with 21 points and six assists in a road loss at Los Angeles, marking her fifth consecutive game of 20 or more points, her longest streak since doing so in 12 straight games to end the 2006 season.
Currently tied for second place in the Western Conference, Taurasi and the Mercury take on the defending WNBA champion Seattle Storm Tuesday night at US Airways Center. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. Lower-level tickets starting at just $10 are available by calling 602.252-WNBA or visiting phoenixmercury.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 15, 2011
- Candace Parker Expected to Return to Action Tuesday Vs. Atlanta - Los Angeles Sparks
- Mystics Update - Washington Mystics
- Lynx Notebook - Minnesota Lynx
- Diana Taurasi Named Western Conference Player of the Week - Phoenix Mercury
- Sky Center Sylvia Fowles Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Chicago Sky
- Chicago's Fowles and Phoenix's Taurasi Named Players of the Week - WNBA
- Silver Stars Weekly Update - San Antonio Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Phoenix Mercury Postgame Notes: Phoenix 86, Seattle 84
- Phoenix Mercury Postgame Notes and Quotes: Phoenix 86, Seattle 66
- Mercury Win Game 3 at Home, Forces Game 4 in Phoenix on Sunday
- Brittney Griner Named to 2018 WNBA All-Defensive First Team
- Mercury Advance to WNBA Semifinals, Three Wins Away from WNBA Finals