Derrick Lewis signs with NFL's Houston Texans
AUSTIN, TX - Austin Wranglers standout offensive specialist Derrick Lewis has signed a contract with the NFL's Houston Texans.
Lewis (6-2, 185, San Diego State), who just finished his first Arena Football League season, broke Troy Bergeron's 2005 record for receiving yardage by a rookie, recording 1,411 yards. Starting in all 16 games this season for the Wranglers, Lewis managed 113 receptions for 23 touchdowns. He was also a key factor in the Wranglers first home playoff game against the Philadelphia Soul. Despite the loss, Lewis finished the game with eight receptions for 108 yards and four touchdowns.
Having previously spent time with the New Orleans Saints (2002-03) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2004-05), Lewis now returns to the NFL with the Houston Texans. Greatly affected by Hurricane Katrina, Lewis' family migrated from their native New Orleans to Houston, where his five children and his extended family now call home.
"Playing for the Wranglers allowed me to showcase my abilities while having a lot of fun in the AFL," said Lewis. "I'm grateful to have this opportunity to return to the NFL, but I will always remain a fan of Arena Football."
The Wranglers found Lewis during the Buccaneers training camp in 2005 and he was signed to the team in December in preparation for the Wranglers 2006 season. Lewis has begun working out with the Texans and he will participate in their mini-camp that begins June 7.
"Our organization is extremely proud of Derrick and how he has handled himself as a player and as a representative of the Austin Wranglers," said General Manager Glyn Milburn. "He established himself as a premiere AFL player and while we will continue to plan for Derrick being in a Wranglers uniform, we wish him the best as he pursues this NFL opportunity."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 31, 2006
- Five lucky Brigade fans win autographed Neil Smith jersey - Kansas City Brigade
- Brigade, Higher MPact and Helping Hand Foundation collaborate to improve inner-city - Kansas City Brigade
- Colorado Crush OS Damian Harrell named Offensive Player of the Year - AFL I
- Orlando climbs to top of final four list - AFL I
- Derrick Lewis signs with NFL's Houston Texans - Austin Wranglers
- Brigade Launches New Web Site - Kansas City Brigade
- San Jose Looks for Ninth Straight Win; Dallas Seeks First ArenaBowl Appearance - AFL I
- Blaze add Ron James to coaching staff - Utah Blaze
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Beckett.com AFL Collectible Player of the Week - AFL I
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- DeJuan Alfonzo again named AFL Ironman of the Week - Chicago Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.