Dawgs Defeated by Peoria, 8-2
PEORIA, Il. - Colin Murray had a goal and an assist and Jeff Jones netter a power play goal but the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs were defeated by the Peoria Rivermen, 8-2, Friday night at Carver Arena.
Peoria struck first about ten minutes into the opening period. Drake Hunter fed Alec Hagaman for a one-timer outside the left wing circle. Jacob Caffrey lunged and got a piece of it with his blocker but it hit the back on the net to make the score, 1-0. The Rivermen added to that in the final minutes of the second when Justin Greenberg hit Beau Walker in front for a redirection that beat Caffrey high and pushed the lead to 2-0.
They tacked on another just under two minutes into the third as Ben Blasko split the defense and fed Drake Hunter for a tap in on the back post. Walker later carried the puck in from the left wing and slid a pass to Greenberg in front who snapped a shot past Caffrey to make it 4-0.
That would be it for Caffrey who was pulled after allowing four goals on 15 shots. Henry Dill entered to replace him with 10:30 to play in the second.
Roanoke got on the board not long after that as Steve Mele poked a bouncing puck to Murray who ripped a wrist shot past Stephen Klein to put the Dawgs on the board. The Rivermen quickly answered though and sprung Blasko for a breakaway that he cashed in on. Peoria tacked on another when Austin Vieth scored in the final minute of the second period to push it to 6-1.
The Dawgs added one more on a power play in the third. Murray fed Jones in front and he flicked a wrister top shelf to cut the deficit to 6-2. Peoria answered within a minute though with Hunter's second of the game. Jake Hamilton later banged home a slap shot from the point to push the score to 8-2.
Murray had a goal and an assist and Jones scored for the second consecutive game. Both Dill and Caffrey finished with 11 saves on 15 shots.
The Rail Yard Dawgs fell to 20-18-3 with the loss while Peoria improved to 32-4-5. Roanoke will again face the Rivermen on Saturday night. Puck drop at Carver Arena is scheduled for 7:15 PM CST and the pregame show begins at 7:00 PM CST on the Haley Toyota Rail Yard Dawgs Hockey Network.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Rivermen Onslaught Runs Roanoke Ragged Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- Minney Leads Thunderbolts to Victory over Quad City - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Dawgs Defeated by Peoria, 8-2 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Bulls Clinch a Playoff Berth with Win against Knoxville - Birmingham Bulls
- Slow Start Sinks Mayhem in Huntsville - Macon Mayhem
- Preview: Mayhem at Huntsville Havoc (Game 42) - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (20-17-3) at Rivermen (31-4-5) - 7:15 PM CST - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs Stories
- Rail Yard Dawgs Sign Shayne Morrissey
- Dawgs Edged by Ice Flyers, 2-1
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (0-0-1) at Ice Flyers (1-0-0)
- Dawgs Settle for Point, Fall to Ice Flyers in OT, 3-2
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (0-0-0) at Ice Flyers (0-0-0)