D.C. United Sign Forward Kristian Fletcher to a Homegrown Contract
WASHINGTON, DC - D.C. United have signed winger Kristian Fletcher to a Homegrown contract through 2025 with an option in 2026. Fletcher will spend the remainder of the season on the Loudoun United (USL Championship) roster and officially become a D.C. United Homegrown on Jan. 1, 2023. Fletcher will join the Black-and-Red on a four-day loan from Loudoun United for their match against New York City FC on Aug. 31, 2022. The 17-year-old joins Ted Ku-DiPietro, Jacob Greene, Jeremy Garay, Bill Hamid, Donovan Pines, and Jackson Hopkins on the list of Homegrown Players on the current roster.
"Kristian is a fantastic young talent and we have been monitoring his progress with Loudoun United since he joined the Club," Lucy Rushton, D.C. United General Manager, said. "He's a versatile attacking player and Wayne [Rooney] has been impressed with the attributes he has shown in games and when training with the First team. We're looking forward to his continued development as a first team player at D.C. United. His signing is further testament to the success of the Pathway 2 Pro program at the club."
Fletcher signed an Academy contract with Loudoun United FC in the United Soccer League (USL) Championship this season and made his professional debut on May 14, 2022 as a second-half substitute against the Detroit City FC. Since making his debut, Fletcher has scored four goals in 12 appearances this season playing a total of minutes. His first goal came in the 54th minute of the Red-and-White's 6-1 loss to the Birmingham Legion on July 27, 2022. His second and third goal came against the LA Galaxy II on Oct. 6, 2022 in a 2-0 win.
"Kristian has been brilliant for Loudoun United since signing an academy contract earlier this season," Stewart Mairs, Loudoun United General Manager, said. "We have all been impressed by his on-field maturity and goalscoring ability. This is the natural next step in Kristian's development plan and we're excited to see how he progresses as a player with the D.C. United First Team."
Fletcher earned his first call-up for the United States U-19 Men's Youth National Team earlier this month. Prior to signing for Loudoun United FC, Fletcher played for the Bethesda Soccer Club Academy, which is part of the MLS NEXT system.
Player: Kristian Fletcher
Birthplace: Bowie, Md.
Country: United States
Height: 6' 0''
Transaction: D.C. United signed Kristian Fletcher to a Homegrown contract effective Jan. 1, 2023. Fletcher joins the Black-and-Red on a four-day loan from Loudoun United FC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 30, 2022
- Injury Report: Trio Absent vs. D.C. UnitedÃÂ - New York City FC
- Rapids at Nashville SC Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Seeking Redemption, Resounding Win on the Road against Nashville SC - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF to Face the Columbus Crew on the Road on WednesdayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- GEODIS Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Continue Hot Form against Colorado Rapids - Nashville SC
- LAFC to Face Houston Dynamo Wednesday, August 31 at PNC Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Defender Michael Edwards to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Sign Forward Kristian Fletcher to a Homegrown Contract - D.C. United
- Austin FC to Host Portland Timbers in Possible Playoff-Clinching Match - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Hosts the New York Red Bulls Wednesday at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City Looks for Fourth Straight Victory as it Welcomes Seattle on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Host Chicago Fire FC on Wednesday Night - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Week against Los Angeles Football Club - Houston Dynamo FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Red Bulls Head North to Battle CF Montreal on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs Schedule and Broadcast Details Announced - MLS
- FC Dallas Signs Midfielder Bernard Kamungo - FC Dallas
- News & Notes from Week 28: Burgundy Boys Ready for Midweek Clash with Nashville SC - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Minnesota Wednesday with Massive MLS Cup Playoff Implications in Play - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United FC at Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Growing into the Game: Ralph Priso Positioned to Become Influential Asset to Rapids' Play - Colorado Rapids
- The Pitch: Record Watch: League History Is Imminent in MLS' 27th Season - MLS
- Orlando City Foundation to Host Annual Celebrity Golf & Footgolf Tournament - Orlando City SC
- Keys to the Match: We Go Again - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Sign Goalkeeper Tyler Miller as a Free Agent
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in General Allocation Money and the 9th Pick in Stage 2 of the 2022 MLS Re-Entry Draft from New England
- D.C. United Sign Pedro Santos as a Free Agent
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in 2023 General Allocation Money and the 26th Pick in the 2022 MLS Re-Entry Draft from Austin FC
- D.C. United Re-Establish the D.C. United Foundation