Cutthroats Fall to Mallards
Moline - The Denver Cutthroats faced the Quad City Mallards on Friday, November 8 at iWireless Center in Moline, Illinois. This was the first time in the 2013-14 season that these teams have met. The Cutthroats fell to the Mallards by three with a risky move to close the game, 5-2 Quad City.
The Mallards took an early lead in the opening period, as Matt Boyd (Darren McMillan, Vladimir Nikiforov) put Quad City up 1-0 over Denver. The Cutthroats refused to close out the period without evening the score as Garett Bembridge (Michael Schumacher, Troy Schwab) tied the game 1-1 going into first intermission.
Quad City reclaimed the lead 16 minutes into the second period. Jim McKenzie (Mike Stinziani, Mike Hellyer) managed to find the Cutthroats net to take the lead 2-1. The Cutthroats and Mallards were tied for shots on goal heading into the third period. Denver put up 13 shots in the first and 10 in the second, while Quad City matched the 23 total shots with 11 of their own in the opening period and 12 in the second.
Thomas Frazee (Nicholas Rioux) scored his first goal for Quad City in the 2013-14 season to further the Mallards lead 3-1. Denver's Bembridge (Robin Soudek, A.J. Gale) made his second goal of the night to cut the Cutthroats deficit by one. Quad City's McKenzie (Stinziani, Matt Duffy) answered with his second goal of the night to regain the Mallards two-goal lead. On a scoreless power play, the Cutthroats pulled Kent Patterson to make it a six-on-four game. Patterson stayed on the bench to close the period with six Cutthroats players on the ice. It wasn't enough to keep the Mallards Nick Grasso from being awarded the team's fifth goal of the night as the Cutthroats Lee Moffie dislodged the empty net. The Quad City Mallards took the game 5-2 over the Denver Cutthroats.
The Denver Cutthroats will face the Quad City Mallards tomorrow night to close out the team's five-game road series. The team will return to the Denver Coliseum on Tuesday, November 12 to face the Arizona Sundogs. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2013
- Early Deficit Dooms Chill - St. Charles Chill
- Oilers Power Past Chill for Third Straight Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Triumph over Thunder 4-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Lose First Meeting vs. Mavericks 4-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Drop Denver 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Cutthroats Fall to Mallards - Denver Cutthroats
- Chill Unveils $5 Tickets - St. Charles Chill
- Americans Look to Rebound Tonight in Canada - Allen Americans
- Shots from the Point for November 8, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster