Cutthroats Defeated by Mavericks
Independence - The Denver Cutthroats matched up with the Missouri Mavericks at Independence Events Center on Saturday, November 2. This was Missouri's season opener at home, having played five undefeated games on the road. The Mavericks remained undefeated after outscoring the Cutthroats 6-2 in Saturday night's face off.
On the Cutthroats first shot of the night, Robin Soudek (Cam Reid, Michael Schumacher) netted the puck to give Denver the lead. Missouri didn't wait long to make their first goal of the night as Sebastien Thinel (Evan Vossen, Andrew Courtney) got a goal on the board for the Mavericks. Scott Dickson (Rob Kleebaum) gave Missouri the lead as they put the puck past Denver's Kent Patterson. On a breakaway, Mavericks Andrew Courtney launched a shot to put Missouri up by two. Just seconds later, Denver's Vincent Arseneau (Matt Glasser, T.J. Fox) found a clear path through the traffic to light up the red lamp.
Andrew Courtney (Sebastien Thinel, Eric Castonguay) gave the Mavericks a 4-2 advantage early in the second period. With less than three minutes remaining before intermission Sebastien Thinel (Saverio Posa) slaps a shot into the cage for his second goal of the night to close out the period 5-2 Mavericks.
The heat turned up as Denver's Michael Trebish and Missouri's Evan Vossen took the gloves off to battle in the third. Each player was given five minutes in the sin bin; this was the first penalty of the night for the Cutthroats. The Mavericks Andrew Courtney's (Sebastien Thinel, Eric Castonguay) hat trick closed the night as Missouri finished 6-2 over the Denver Cutthroats.
The Denver Cutthroats will continue their road series as the team heads to Wichita to face the Thunder for the third time in the 2013-14 season. This is the first time the Cutthroats will play in Wichita this season, they will return to the Denver Coliseum on Tuesday, November 12 to face the Arizona Sundogs.
1. Andrew Courtney (MIZ)
2. Sebastien Thinel (MIZ)
3. Joe Howe (MIZ)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2013
- Cutthroats Defeated by Mavericks - Denver Cutthroats
- Beast Slips Away from Mallards 4-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Iowa Wild Sends Defenseman Baldwin to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- CHL to Honor Doug Lawrence and HOF Members at Tonight's Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Sundogs Struggle to Snap Losing Skid, 4-1 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- CHL Scott Wray Becomes Fifth to Score 300 CHL Goals - CHL
- Thunder Drop First-Ever Meeting vs. Beast 3-2 - Wichita Thunder
- 104 Penalty Minutes Handed out in 6-1 Loss - St. Charles Chill
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster