Cutthroats Close out Road Trip with 4-3 Shootout Loss
TULSA, Okla. - The Denver Cutthroats scored a pair of goals in the third period to tie the game, but Ryan Menei provided the shootout-winner for the Tulsa Oilers in a 4-3 final on Tuesday in front of 3,181 at the BOK Center.
Michel Beausoleil also scored for the Oilers (13-27-3) in the shootout, which lasted five rounds. Brett Lutes scored the lone shootout goal for the Cutthroats (21-17-5) in the final game of their 12-game road trip. With the point, Denver takes over sole possession of fourth place in the CHL ahead of the Bloomington Blaze, who Denver will face in their next two games.
The Oilers held a 3-1 advantage entering the third period but Troy Schwab closed the gap just 39 seconds into the frame on a breakaway goal down the middle of the ice. Brad Smyth then tied things with 6:44 to play after deflecting Glenn Cacaro's shot from the left circle for his 18th of the season.
The Oilers built their 3-1 lead in the first period with a goal from Ryan Menei at 5:45 to open the game's scoring, and a pair from Drew Fisher in the final five minutes of the frame - including his second one on the power play. AJ Gale scored Denver's first goal less than a minute after Menei's from the front of the net. The goal was Gale's league-leading 26th of the season.
Kent Patterson stopped 25 of 28 shots for the Cutthroats while Shayne Madolora stopped 27 of 30 for the Oilers.
Denver finished 0-for-4 on the power play. Tulsa went 1-for-2.
The Cutthroats 12-game road trip is the longest any team in the Central Hockey League will endure this season. Denver finished the trek going 3-6-3.
The Cutthroats return to the Mile High City on Friday for their first home game in more than a month when they host the Bloomington Blaze at 7:05 PM MST.
1. Drew Fisher (TUL)
2. Shayne Madolora (TUL)
3. Brad Smyth (DEN)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2013
- Cutthroats Close out Road Trip with 4-3 Shootout Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Best Americans in Shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Outlast Cutthroats in 4-3 Shootout Victory - Tulsa Oilers
- Comeback Victory over Rapid City Pushes Win-Streak to Five - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Rout Bloomington 8-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Bury Rush 5-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Rout Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Corbeil and Miller Recalled to Chicago; Ortmeyer and Testwuide Suspended by Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
- Quad City's John Murray Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Murray Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Lang Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster