C's Stumble Into Playoffs After 4-0 Loss To Aquasox
(Vancouver, BC) - The Canadians (25-13 42-36) dropped their second straight game to the Everett Aquasox (22-16 49-29) on the eve of the 2010 Playoffs as Vancouver fell 4-0 on Sunday afternoon in front of 3,984 sun soaked fans out at Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium.
Everett opened in the top of the 3rd inning when Canadians RHP Seth Frankoff hit CF Robbie Anston with a pitch and then came around to score on a triple off the bat of 2B Fred Bello giving the Aquasox a 1-0 lead.
Another run would come across to score in the top of the 5th inning when Canadians reliever RHP Blake Hassebrock would come in and give up back-to-back singles to SS Anthony Phillips and CF Robbie Anston, followed by a sacrifice fly from 3B Kevin Mailloux scoring Phillips extending the Aquasox lead to 2-0.
A pair of runs would come in to count in the top of the 6th inning as Everett's offense continued to take advantage of Vancouver miscues. RF Kalian Sams would draw a leadoff walk, advance to second when RHP Blake Hassebrock would uncork a wild pitch and score along with C Billy Marcoe when LF Dwight Britton singled down the left field line giving Everett a 4-0 lead.
Vancouver would strand nine runners on the afternoon collecting nine hits on the day, none bringing in a run as the Everett Aquasox would pick up their franchise high 49th win of the season at the Canadians expense sending Vancouver to their second straight defeat.
NOTES: Canadians CF Michael Choice was 4-for-4 in the loss with two doubles... The Canadians have scored runs in just two of the last 27 innings against Everett heading into the West Division Final... Vancouver has not be to the Northwest League post-season since 2005 while the Aquasox have not been to the post-season since 2002.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from September 5, 2010
- Dust Devils Fall to Indians in Finale - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Huge Second, Great Outing from Gutierrez Leads Bears to 9-2 Win - Yakima Bears
- Hawks Fall 9-2 - Boise Hawks
- C's Stumble Into Playoffs After 4-0 Loss To Aquasox - Vancouver Canadians
- Rough Start Dooms Dust Devils - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Yakima beats Boise - Boise Hawks
- Sams, Sharpley Lead Sox in Rout - Everett AquaSox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Canadians Stories
- Canadians Baron Receives 3rd Consecutive Sports Turf Manager of the Year Award
- Robertson Named NWL Player of the Week
- C's Swept in Season Finale; Fall 3-1 to Everett
- C's Fall 11-3 in Everett on Sunday Afternoon
- C's Just Can't Catch Everett; Fall 5-3 on Saturday