Crunch Drop Game 1 to IceCaps, 2-1
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The Syracuse Crunch dropped Game 1 of the five-game Round 1 series to the St. John's IceCaps, 2-1, tonight at the Mile One Centre.
After trailing through two periods, Tye McGinn put the Crunch on the board halfway through the third. Syracuse was unable to build momentum to rally back and took a loss in their first post-season contest.
Mike McKenna turned aside 19-of-21 shots between the pipes for the Crunch. Charlie Lindgren earned the win with 28 saves for the IceCaps. Syracuse went 1-for-5 on the power play and 1-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The IceCaps were first on the board with a power play marker in the final minutes of the first period. Jacob de la Rose fired the puck into the zone and around the back of the net. Charles Hudon chipped out a centering feed from beyond the goal line for Nikita Scherbak to one-time.
St. John's doubled their lead at the 2:59 mark of the middle frame. Hudon slid a quick feed across the slot for Chris Terry to redirect back door.
The Crunch finally got on the board with 9:39 remaining in the third period. Matthew Peca set up McGinn to send it bardown from the slot while on the power play. Brett Howden picked up a point on the play.
The teams return to Mile One Centre for Game 2 tomorrow at 6 p.m. ET.
Single game tickets for the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs presented by NAPA Auto Parts are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or by logging on to Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch and #FIN15H.
Crunchables: Brett Howden is on a five-game points streak with three goals and two assists...Tye McGinn has four points (2g, 2a) in his last three games...The Syracuse Crunch won the eight-game regular season series against the IceCaps with a 4-1-2-1 record.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 21, 2017
- GAME Checkers Drop Nail-Biter as Wolves Even Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Drop Game One in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Square Series in Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Two Power Play Goals Lead P-Bruins to Game One Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Game 1 in Providence, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Crunch Crunch 2-1 in Game One - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Drop Game 1 to IceCaps, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls Sign Jack Kopacka to ATO - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Open Pacific Semifinals - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Preseason Schedule
- Syracuse Crunch to Require Proof of Full COVID-19 Vaccination at Upstate Medical University Arena
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Ryan Jones to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Continue Partnership with CNY Central