Penguins Lose Game 1 in Providence, 2-1
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - In the first game of their Atlantic Division Semifinal series, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins dropped a 2-1 decision to the Providence Bruins at Dunkin' Donuts Center on Friday night.
The Penguins surrendered two power play goals to the Bruins and saw their last-minute comeback thwarted by video review as Providence took a 1-0 lead in the best-of-five series
Jake DeBrusk got Providence on the board first by knifing in a rebound during the Bruins' first power play of the game. DeBrusk's mad advantage marker came at 12:21 of the first period.
Just as a Penguins power play expired midway through the second period, Jean-Sébastien Dea and Derrick Pouliot ended up with a great two-on-one opportunity from between the hashmarks, only to be denied by Zane Mclntyre. Dea made the most of his next opportunity though, redirecting a shot from David Warsofsky into the Bruins' net at 16:34 of the middle frame.
Providence regained the lead with another power play goal with Danton Heinen doing the honors this time. The Bruins' go-ahead goal arrived 6:12 into the third period.
With the goalie pulled and an extra attacker on, the Penguins thought they had tied the score yet again in a wild goal-line scramble. After review, the goal was waved off, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was never able to conjure that tying goal before the end of regulation.
Casey DeSmith finished the game having made 31 saves. McIntyre posted 30 stops for the win.
Game 2 of the Penguins' Atlantic Division Semifinal series with the Bruins is on Sunday, Apr. 23 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will return to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza for its first home game of the postseason on Thursday, Apr. 27.
Individual game tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home playoff games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Penguins postseason ticket packages, which include tickets to every home contest during the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs, are on sale now. With the purchase of a postseason ticket package, fans will receive a $6 food/merchandise voucher for every home game in the playoffs, as well as their same seat guaranteed. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fans can secure their seats for every home game on the Cup run by contacting the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 21, 2017
- GAME Checkers Drop Nail-Biter as Wolves Even Series - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Drop Game One in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Square Series in Charlotte - Chicago Wolves
- Two Power Play Goals Lead P-Bruins to Game One Win - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Lose Game 1 in Providence, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps Crunch Crunch 2-1 in Game One - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Drop Game 1 to IceCaps, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- San Diego Gulls Sign Jack Kopacka to ATO - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Open Pacific Semifinals - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Reveal 2021-22 Promotional Schedule
- Pittsburgh to Host Development Camp
- Individual Game Tickets Go on Sale Wednesday, September 15
- USA Olympic Team to Have WBS Feel
- Pittsburgh Signs Goaltender Louis Domingue