Crowd of 6,325 on Hand at Segra Park for Fireflies Opener
COLUMBIA, SC - The Fireflies opened the 2019 season in front of an energetic crowd of more than 6,000 on Thursday night. Columbia dropped the opener, though, to Charleston, 2-1, but the 6,325 in attendance were delightfully entertained with a competitive ballgame, dazzling pitching and - what no opening day should be without - postgame fireworks. Thursday's loss was the first home-opening defeat in the organization's four years (started 3-0 on opening days).
Columbia pitchers fanned 13 RiverDogs hitters. Mets' 18-year-old prospect Simeon Woods-
Richardson punched out four in 1.2 innings (the starter was held to a 40-pitch limit) before Willy Tavares struck out five over the next 4.1 IP. Tavares allowed just one hit. Later, Darwin Ramos and Ezequiel Zabaleta combined for four punchouts in a combined three scoreless frames.
Charleston's two early runs proved to be the difference. The visitors twice scored in the second, the second run coming in after Kyle Gray doubled.
The Fireflies responded with their lone score in the fourth. Mark Vientos (pictured / Photo: Tom Priddy) got it started with a sharp single and came all the way home to score on Hayden Senger's double. Senger finished with a pair of hits.
Columbia had the tying run on third base in the bottom of the ninth but could not plate the runner to force extras.
The Fireflies and RiverDogs battle again at Segra Park on Friday at 7:05 ET. In game two of the series, right-hander Jose Butto takes the mound for Columbia and makes his 2019 debut.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 4, 2019
- Tourists Suffer Opening Day Defeat - Asheville Tourists
- Delmarva Defeats Legends in Extra Innings on Opening Night - Lexington Legends
- Crowd of 6,325 on Hand at Segra Park for Fireflies Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Opening Night at Fluor Field Headlined by Record Attendance and Pedroia's Appearance - Greenville Drive
- Anchia, Sweet Lift Power to Extra-Innings Win in Opener - West Virginia Power
- Late Homer Not Enough to Lift Suns over 'Hoppers - Hagerstown Suns
- Contreras Deals as Dogs Hang on in Opening Night Pitchers' Duel - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Drop Opener 9-4 to Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Opening Day Game Notes - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes (April 4) - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Partners with Alpha Media for Live Broadcasts of Fireflies Games in 2019 - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.