BlueClaws Drop Opener 9-4 to Hickory
LAKEWOOD, NJ -Chris Seise had three extra-base hits as Hickory broke open a 4-4 game with two runs in the fifth en route to a 7-4 win over the BlueClaws on Opening Night at FirstEnergy Park.
The Crawdads took the lead on a groundout from Matt Whatley and added a run on a Pedro Gonzalez RBI single.
The loss drops the BlueClaws to 8-11 all time in season openers and 4-15 all-time in home openers.
After Hickory scored three in the top of the fourth with two outs off Colton Eastman, the BlueClaws rallied to tie the game in the fourth. Jonathan Guzman' s SAC fly opened the scoring for the BlueClaws in the inning, and they added an RBI single from Luis Garcia and a SAC fly from Jimmy Smith.
The Crawdads, however, responded with two runs in the fifth. After a single from Julio Pablo Martinez and a double from Chris Seise, Tyler Carr relieved Colton Eastman. Matt Whatley drove in a run on a groundout and Pedro Gonzalez singled home another to put the Crawdads up 6-4.
Eastman (0-1) took the loss after he was charged for six runs in four innings (plus two batters). Hickory reliever Scott Engler retired all eight hitters he faced and earned the win. Abdiel Mendozathrew three scoreless innings to close the game and earn the save.
The BlueClaws and Crawdads play game two of their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Jack Perkins starts for Lakewood opposite LHP Jake Latz.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 4, 2019
- Tourists Suffer Opening Day Defeat - Asheville Tourists
- Delmarva Defeats Legends in Extra Innings on Opening Night - Lexington Legends
- Crowd of 6,325 on Hand at Segra Park for Fireflies Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Opening Night at Fluor Field Headlined by Record Attendance and Pedroia's Appearance - Greenville Drive
- Anchia, Sweet Lift Power to Extra-Innings Win in Opener - West Virginia Power
- Late Homer Not Enough to Lift Suns over 'Hoppers - Hagerstown Suns
- Contreras Deals as Dogs Hang on in Opening Night Pitchers' Duel - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Drop Opener 9-4 to Hickory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Opening Day Game Notes - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes (April 4) - Hagerstown Suns
- Columbia Partners with Alpha Media for Live Broadcasts of Fireflies Games in 2019 - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Birds Draw 11 Walks, Blank BlueClaws 14-0
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro
- Martin Stuns Claws Twice with Sunday Walk-Off Home Runs